Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Well my reit (trrex) is up 27% for one year, but M* has it at a 3 star. Am certain it was a 4 star and possibly a 5 in years past. My guess would be that aint nothing wrong with the fund but that T Rowe has run for cover as these things skyrocketed. In a flat or down market I'd expect it to be a leader again. Yep, if ya got a long term horizon reits fit in nicely. One danger is they invest in malls and we dont know for sure where them are heading, with all the internet shopping going on. Residential real estate is as beaten up as ya can get. Reits aint so much in this though. Branch out into malls, office buildings, apartments, self storage and even mobile home parks which is of course a nice play on the underlying property. Personally their a bit too volatile for me. Keep just a tiny bit in trrex and count it as part of my commodities hold. Thanks for the link John.
  • I would not want to be in malls for the longer-term, as I continue to think that retail space is still significantly overbuilt in this country. I do think the offices are interesting, and public storage companies (like, um, public storage) may be interesting. I sold it, but in the office space, I like Brookfield Office Properties (BPO) and would look at it again on a significant pullback.
  • what about china real estates - are these also bubble? they went up crazy the past 2.5 yrs
  • edited May 2011
    I like some general Asia-region real estate plays, such as Hong Kong Land (which I own through Jardine Matheson) and Capitamalls (which I don't own, but seems like an interesting speculative play. I definitely don't want any more Asia, but Capitamalls Trust - which is apparently Singapore's first REIT - would be one of the things I'd look into and start to do more research on if I did. http://www.capitamall.com/ )

Otherwise, there's so much noise with people calling this and that about China a bubble. If anyone was looking at Asia real estate (and that - I think - would require a positive longer-term view on the region), I'd look for companies that have lasted for quite some time and are considered more "quality" names. HK Land is one, Cheung Kong is another. Marty Whitman still holds quite a few.