Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jim Beam and Budweiser Join Forces to Produce New Beer

edited April 2019 in Off-Topic
“Budweiser and Jim Beam have announced a partnership that will bring forth a new beer with whiskey elements this coming fall. The two companies will develop a beer under the Budweiser brand in the form of a limited-edition brew called Reserve Copper Lager, which is aged on Jim Beam’s bourbon barrel staves, which refers to wood pieces that define bourbon barrels.”
https://investorplace.com/2018/04/budweiser-jim-beam/

“Loving beer is a complicated matter ... There’s an persistent cultural war between independently owned and operated craft beer brands and big, legacy domestic brands, hungry to gulp up as much craft beer fridge space as possible with their massive distribution networks. This has caused quite a bit of friction in the beer world. The friction is part of a major cultural shift in how America views beer ...”
https://brobible.com/culture/article/budweiser-and-jim-beam-beer-review/

Sorry this story is 5-6 months old. Just happened to notice some of this stuff on a retailer’s shelf recently and wondered What the #*!! is this about? Dewars has the same idea with their recent “Scratched Cask” offering. Traces of bourbon flavor in scotch whisky from aging in X-bourbon casks. Not my liking - but some take to it.

Comments

• I've tried it. Not bad. Biggest problem is it still says Budweiser on the bottle. Hard to associate Budweiser with good beer.
  • edited April 2019
    MikeM said:

Biggest problem is it still says Budweiser on the bottle. Hard to associate Budweiser with good beer.

Yup. Agree 100% with that last part. I did take a look at the label. Its 6% ABV is a bit on the high side. Most American beers run in the 4.5 - 5.5% range. Suspect Bud bumped it up a little to try and sell the stuff. BTW - In college we often mixed Beam with Bud. :)

Quick Edit - After posting I checked on the ABV for ice beers. I know they run a little higher. Bud markets three under various names. None reaches that 6% level of their new Beam/Bud concoction - although they aren’t far behind.

“Anheuser-Busch introduced Bud Ice (5.5% ABV) in 1994, and it remains one of the country's top selling ice beers ... In 1995, Anheuser-Busch also introduced two other major brands: Busch Ice (5.9% ABV, introduced 1995) and Natural Ice (also 5.9% ABV, also introduced in 1995.”
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_beer
  • I'll have a Jim Beam Bud - Say that when you get snockered!!
  • edited April 2019
    Gary said:

I'll have a Jim Beam Bud - Say that when you get snockered!!

You don’t suppose Anheuser-Busch designed this product to appeal mainly to the college age crowd?

But what’s new there?