Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TedTed
edited April 2019 in Fund Discussions

Comments

• Anyone bailing out
  • @johnN
    You need to start your own post with your question.
    Express to what your game plan is or will be; and then ask the question of the board.

• edited April 2019
    johnN said:

”Anyone bailing out”

@JohnN, How’s Boeing doing since you bought some back on March12?

(Your “bailing out” expression made me think of airplanes for some reason - Boeing in particular.)

• I have sold some more DSE_X, again prematurely, it appears

• "Still, history bodes well for stocks the remainder of the year. Since 1950, the S&P 500 has recorded 10 first quarters where the index gained at least 10%. On nine of those 10 occasions, the index rose for the remainder of the year, averaging a gain of 5.8%. The only year it declined was 1987, known for Black Monday, when the index fell 15% after the first quarter but still closed out the full year with a 2% gain"

If I'm reading this correctly, one should sell somewhere with the gain over 10 % ,as the yearly gain was ONLY 5.8% ?
    Derf
  • @Derf, from the paragraph you copy-pasted, 5.8% is over the "remainder" of the year, the last 3 quarters. That's how I read it anyway.
  • @_hank hi sir... BA moves like a turtle up 1% since bought it... Folks told me to hold it for one two yrs... It's maybe a long term holding
  • edited April 2019
    @JohnN, Thanks for checking. BA closed near $362 on / around March 12 following the recent accident. This morning it’s at $374. That looks more like a 3% gain in price from around the time you reported buying. Not bad. Linked article talks about Boeing’s recent ups & downs (no pun intended) from an investment standpoint. https://investorplace.com/2019/04/boeing-stock-737-max/
  • @Mike M: I suggest you look up total return for S&P 1987! Another writer with not enough time.
    Derf
  • Thanks @Derf, but it holds no interest to me. I was just pointing out what I read in your post.
  • @ MikeM: That's why I asked the question. I thought I might be missing something. & when you replied it sparked my interest.
    Hence forth, believe nothing you hear & only 1/2 of what you see.

Enjoy the weather, Derf
  • edited April 2019
    Hi Sirs: @hank @catch22 - Not much changes in the short or long term game plans. We bought more junk bonds MNK [561234AE5 4.75%], HP corp bond [428236BR3], Vanguard healthcare etf and VTI recently. Otherwise we are not doing much because of heavily paid for taxations due 4/15, also paid high fees for home insurance/vacations expenditures w wifey few wks ago, and repair old car engine. We are still 80/20 at 401k from work/

We don't know if there will be a massive crash in 6-24 months, if that the case we may spend our cash/free up bonds and may buy real estate
  • Ted left the light on for you!!
  • edited April 2019
    @Ted thx
    @Gary Hi Sir - right...many folks response much more to Ted Old_Joe, Catch22, msf, hank, Crash [because of previous MFO civil wars and expertise w/ ETF/MF buyings investment advices) >> than some of us (smaller fishes in big MFO ocean). Grade A+++ alpha dogs/heard leaders @ MFO