Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking for an OAKBX replacement

edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
My 401k recently dropped their special (low-fee) version of OAKBX. The fund has done reasonably well and I'm looking for a replacement.

I have the ability to transfer the money into a general brokerage account and purchase OAKBX there. If I want to use the 401k funds, my options in this area are:
* BlackRock lifepath funds
* PIMCO Inflation Response
* PIMCO Total Return
* Various Vanguard funds (index, value index, growth index, short-term bond, small company growth)

I'm excluding other options which I'm invested heavily in already.

Thoughts?

Comments

• OAKBX fund is a balanced fund. I do not see a suitable direct replacement in the funds you have listed.

Options:

* As you said, you can transfer the money to self-directed brokerage account and buy OAKBX there.
    * Or you can take the 60-70% of the money invested in OAKBX and distribute among equity funds and put the remaining 30-40% to PTTRX
    * Alternatively, transfer to brokerage account and invest in a different balanced fund.
  • I would consider one of these options:

1. 60/40 mix of VTWSX and VTINX
    2. 70/25/5 mix of VTWSX/VTINX/VEIEX
    3. 75/15/10 mix of VTWSX/PTTRX/VEIEX

Of these three, I would prefer option #3.

Kevin
  • I know this is a very different fund, but what about PAUDX?
  • Reply to @Whakamole: If trying to replicate OAKBX is your primary objective then I would be looking at PQIIX