Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fixed Income "Place to Be"?

edited May 2011 in Fund Discussions
After the discussion in PSA's thread, I thought I'd start a general discussion on fixed income and what sectors of fixed income are good holds for the next 2-3 years (so medium-term). I'd say floating rate and people still like EM - anything else that people will fare well in the upcoming years, given what may happen to rates? I'm not negative on fixed income overall, just - at this point - don't have a sense of fundamentals/fundamental case for the short/medium term.

Comments

• I recently read of the wild ride of the EM bond fund - GMCDX. Has anyone even considered owning that fund?
  • Hope you get lots of responses to this one, Scott. I know many of us have sizeable percentage in fixed income who are a little worried how they will fare with upcoming economy.
  • Well, now. Consider age, risk tolerance and everything else... But Fixed Income ought to be in everyone's portfolio, no? I recommend DODIX, and will be buying into it shortly. Also PREMX and DLENX
  • Anything low duration and I'd say multi-sector, but make sure that they have a quick trigger finger to adjust allocations. There are lots of multi-sectors that are multi-sector but don't rotate sectors and more or less have fixed allocations. So I guess flexible fixed income and low duration stuff.