Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

negative rates again?! Germany.

German 10-year bunt. -.074%.
Totally nuts. Does this have anything to do with the utter hot mess called "Brexit?" Sure, pay the government to hold your money. Ridiculous.

Comments

• Of course it's ridiculous. But if a business needs to hold large amounts of cash, just about the only way to get the equivalent of FDIC coverage is to buy a government bond, and pay 0.074% for the guaranteed coverage.
  • They don't have a similar bank guarantee, as with our FDIC?
  • I'm not certain of the details, but I seem to recall that their bank guarantee system is not nearly as robust as ours. In any case, I was referring to large businesses, whose coverage needs would likely exceed any guarantee either here or there.
  • E.U. banks, deposit guarantee scheme

If E.U. bank fails created massive financial problems with personal monies accounts; one may be assured that the E.C.B. would print whatever it takes.....
  • Ah, yes. I recall now, about the Irish banks, Portuguese, Spanish, Greek...