Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Slam Dunk Bond Fund Combo?

PSA
edited May 2011 in Fund Discussions
for high monthly income. AGDYX, MWHYX and DBLTX. Can you think of any better performing, high octane combo other than what I own?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2011
    A couple of notes:

1. One can have a good feeling about the fundamentals for an asset class, but whenever someone says that something is a "slam dunk", that's a tad bit of a warning sign.

2. Is there a fundamental story/theme here, or are you just looking for high yield? What are your thoughts on the fixed income classes represented? I'm not asking this in a negative way; I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are on the underlying asset class or if this is purely yield-related.

3. Not so much DBLTX, but the other two funds are significantly risky and have run quite a bit. Not sure what upside is left for these fixed income classes.

3a. I believe you have posted essentially the same/similar thread previously.
  • Maurice - You're right.
    Scott - I'm using DBLTX as my "core" bond holding. AGDYX and MWHYX are supporting bond funds. They may have indeed run quite a bit, but I am hoping all three provide a steady income stream for my retirement soon. There's always a risk in holding these high yield, high risk bond funds, but I am willing to take the plunge.
  • edited May 2011
    Gundlach is certainly a good choice, and I think as well as Gross does trying to steer Total Return, Gundlach's skill and smaller fund may make him more nimble over time (very different funds, but both very skilled fixed income managers.) The Closed-End fund GOF (Guggenheim Strategic Opportunities) is an "alternative" high yielding fixed income option (which does have some equity exposure) that I find interesting, but it continually trades at a high premium.