Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

1 wonders......

Things that are or are not, so to speak....one might wonder about in these days of pause, i.e., China talks. Could it be we are or want to be the ones who are in the right and can lead in the Days of Now? Is the empire still relevant? Can we yet rule? Do they who are beneath us still bow.....one wonders? Who and how my father's father and he who is before me.....are the years we have before the fall, i.e., debt problem. Are we the ones who rhyme with Rome? The darkness comes now, brothers. Where the sun once shone, it rises high yet no warmth is given, i.e., the markets. The most hated of all things, as we pivoted to the East....said the one before, he who was brown. Are they the ones who rule without the crown? Things on our walk that Dukester and I wonder......
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• And, I also wonder ...
  • Silly, serious things, indeed!
  • What does Duke have to say about your ramblings ?
    Have a nice weekend, Derf
  • WW3 by 2025 is still my prediction
  • @VintageFreak- Well, maybe. One thing though... if it does happen it's going to be one of the shortest wars in history. Three months max. And San Francisco will be back to sand dunes. This time though, radioactive sand dunes.
  • edited March 2019
    The US position as world leader is diminishing all the time. Like Rome, we are desiccating from within. The death of any sense of the Common Good is one reason. Government has ceased to serve the people. It serves Industry. It has morphed into a monstrosity, the Corporate State. Elections are a sham. The Demublicans and Repugnants merely offer a different shade of grey. The vast majority struggle, and the plutocrats in charge are OK with that. Maybe that could be because our elected "leaders" are owned by big donors, including giant capitalist companies? Why are those in control reluctant to do their jobs, rather than to serve themselves....? Everything is skewed. Everything has transmogrified into a cynical game. Between Capitol Hill and the White House, a tortured dance continues. No one dares speak the unvarnished truth. There's no news you can find which is not first "spun," and even the standard network news reports every night choose to omit so very much. So much around the world we never hear about. Our horizon has been parochial-ized: limited in range or scope. ... Everywhere you turn, it's all about me, me, me. You want to sit naked in the locker room and order a pizza to be delivered to your Helsinki hotel room next Thursday? Sure. But what about improving the schools so that kids don't graduate still unable to read very well? Or read and write proper English? Or understand how government is SUPPOSED to work? ..."Oh, dear! That's just so... HARD! Let's not do anything about THAT." Years ago, we worked and reached and stretched and experimented and were even able to put men on the moon. I hear nothing these days about any kind of lofty goal that we might accomplish TOGETHER. And so we drift. And fade. And all of this is to say nothing about so many thousands and millions of people who choose to be willfully ignorant.
  • Yupper !
    Derf
  • concur,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • Have a longneck or two and think about it also keep the wolf from your door!!
    The snow will be gone before you know it warmer days are coming. The debt problem is not ours, the can is getting kicked down the road after all we have no money today!!
    It was so cold here last week I saw a lawyer crossing the street with his hands in his own pockets!!
  • @crash, Common good has never been the economic driver of America, unless of course we had a common enemy in war time. From my vague recollection of economic history, the largest divergence between haves and have-nots was probably late 19th - early 20th century - the time of the robber barons. There was no middle class. That is a concept that was built in the 20th century. The times of Rockefeller, Carnegie, Morgan, Ford and others controlled pretty much everything, including the United States government for quite a while. But, on the other hand, these guys are also know as the creators of American economic dominance. There is good and bad in this capitalist system we have. I contend times really haven't changed a whole lot throughout our history.

@Puddnhead, your prognosis may or may not be on point. But from an investment standpoint, maybe it's time to invest in Gold. I started a trend investment back in early December. Hasn't really taken off yet, but with the turmoil you suggest, it should. Gold and beer, that's my suggestion:)
  • Hi guys,
    He who walks on all fours and is brown said my post,....well,.....was poor, to dark, he says. Soooooo, with a cold longneck and some better thoughts, here's the news, i.e., think Laugh In.......remember? With Dick and Dan.....they're missed greatly. Anyway, we are now up 1.3% since mid terms, so I believe this push up is for real. New highs will come as well as the Yellow's making a deal, i.e., yellow hair, yellow men......it's a shame they're not red. ID call Kemosabe and Tonto and get this shit over with. Will soon start to sell healthcare ....think 20. Have been adding to FHKCX on weakness. They're pumping so I'm buying, over here think 5G.....it's coming. Tech is in with low rates. It's all good, i.e., think new phones.
    Have also been riding madcaps as Fido said they're good for the first half of the year. Also watching FSDAX.....will buy on more weakness. What am I watching? Well, semis and HY. They should lead when they slow or stop, think dip and buy because 20 is coming. And we all know what that means. Must go......the Duke is on with, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon." Brown loves it!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited March 2019
    I'm still wondering!
  • edited March 2019
    ...And for St. Patrick's Day: "The Black Velvet Band."