Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Only EM for Foreign Exposure

Has anyone ever considered this? Is anyone doing this now? If you are doing it now are you retired or not?

EM valuations are attractive but outperformance is lumpy.

My EM is Seafarer G/I(which came to my attention on these boards,THNX), Matthews G/I. I have a slug of American funds that I am considering deploying to AF New World which buys EM stocks or stocks that obtain a significant amount of earnings from EM markets(small slug of EM bonds too).

This would make my EM 15% of the portfolio. I realize that the G/I funds are not pure EM but they lean that way.

Regards,

MikeM2

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Hi @MikeM2: My two emerging market funds are both by American Funds. They are NEWFX which is held in the growth area of my portfolio and DWGAX which is held in the growth & income area. Combined, my emerging market exposure according to a recent Xray analysis amounts to a little better than five percent of my equity allocation. Being retired I'm not aggressively invested as my target asset allocation is 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity. However, I might buy a little more DWGAX as it pays a quarterly dividend since my current investment focus is to invest in income generating securities. Currently, I'm a little overweight equities due to thier strong run over the past couple of months. In addition, I looking to add a sliver of micro caps to my equity allocation.

I'll be rebalancing my portfolio towards the last part of March or first part of April. In this process I've been thinking of moving my commodity strategy fund PCLAX to my hybrid income sleeve since it pays a strong quarterly dividend (TTM 16%). This should provide an open to buy in the growth area where I can add a micro cap fund. I've been looking at WMMAX. Hopefully, within my growth and income area with quarterly dividends being paid this month will also provide some open to buy room to add to my DWGAX position which I'll fund from portfolio dividend income.

I'm not of the camp to make emerging markets my sole foreign exposure.
  • You better be a very disciplined investor to do that. Although the long term returns for EM might be good, they are extremely inconsistent. Spectacular returns some years, punctuated by equally bad returns other years. Even in good or average years, volatility is typically high. Personally, I wish that I had never invested in EM, but I’ve been in it so long that I figure that it’s due for a rebound. BTW, many diversified foreign funds hold 10-25% in EM stocks, which is probably enough for most investors.
  • Appreciate the comments. Skeet, thanks for reminding me about DWGAX. That was an option I hadn't considered in the American Funds Family.
  • That latter strategy is what I generally use. One delegates country allocation to the fund manager of diversified foreign funds. By implication one is delegating EM allocation as well, unless one chooses a not-so-diversified foreign fund where the manager is limited to investing just in developed markets.

Of roughly 500 diversified foreign funds (i.e. foreign large or small cap; value, blend, or growth) in M*'s online database, a little over 1/3 fall into the 10% to 25% EM range. So while these funds are not rare, one may need to seek them out. (Add in funds having even higher EM exposure and the total percentage rises to around 2/5 of foreign funds.)
  • @msf I'm curious what diversified foreign funds you like. Thx
  • edited March 2019
    I would not. Just don't see how the risk-reward would justify that "bet".

Do you know SFGIX, though called an EM fund, is 50:50 Developed and EM markets (per M*)? NEWFX is 55% Developed, 45% EM. DWGAX 38% Developed market. If you look at an "International fund like DODFX, they have 20% in EM.

I guess where I'm going with that, many of these foreign funds are a mix of Developed and EM countries and their managers know more than me or you (well, me anyway). You have to dig into a funds portfolio to be pure one or the other. Maybe just leave it up to the EM fund manager to decide.
  • Perhaps free-range EM managers is the best of both worlds.
  • MikeW said:

@msf I'm curious what diversified foreign funds you like. Thx

The one that you mentioned, DODFX, looks good. On the growth side, VWIGX has been getting a lot of attention (including from me) in another thread.

In small cap, PRIDX has been quite reliable though it is closed now. In looking for alternatives, GISYX popped up. It's from a fund family that's popular here, and this particular fund is reasonably priced both for the family and for a mid cap int'l fund. Not concentrated and low turnover.

On the value side of small/mid cap is QUSIX. This fund is one I've been aware of for some time, but I didn't realize that the institutional share class could be purchased by retail investors (e.g. in Fidelity IRAs). The retail share class costs 1/3% more.

Another fund in the same space, and somewhat of a surprise to me, is FISMX. It's a surprise because I'd generally given up on Fidelity a decade or more ago. But this is a moderately small sized fund for Fidelity ($1.2B), very diversified (as one would hope for a small cap fund with over $1B AUM), low turnover, reasonable cost.

These are just funds that interest me because they're well diversified (including EM, which was the subject of the thread), reasonably well performing, low turnover, and low to moderate cost. With the exception of PRIDX, one can open a position in any of them with a low minimum (though one may have to work at it).
  • @msf. Thanks very much for making me aware of a new set of funds to research. Particularly the Grandeur Peaks one. That one has held up better than all of the other ones in the family that have had a few disappointing years. I always appreciate the ideas here on the board. I would also add MIOPX to your list which has about 30% in EM and is available no load at Schwab and other brokerages.
  • You guys have mentioned other funds I hadn't heard of, thanks.
  • PSILX, which is TR Price Spectrum International, is another good foreign fund to consider. It’s a fund-of-funds, that is, other TRP funds that invest in foreign and EM stocks.
  • Any comments on PRIJX (which also recently changed its name)?