Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Financial Repression Coming to America (LIP p/hank)

edited May 2011 in Off-Topic
Warnings from El-Erian. Sees government repressing folks ability to grow savings. Got a new tax on pensions here in Michigan that didn't exist before. Can debate the merits, but bottom line is its gonna cost seniors plenty over remaining lifetimes. Any one mainly in cash for many years surely feeling the pinch. *&%@*!# Cant pick up a decent apple tomato or pepper in the grocery here w/o forking over a buck. What inflation?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Financial-Repression-Coming-cnbc-3258621565.html;_ylt=Ai4QVu8FnD9qSOZnn6PqUqS7YWsA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2cTE5NzBxBHBvcwMxMARzZWMDdG9wU3RvcmllcwRzbGsDZmluYW5jaWFscmVw?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=7&asset=&ccode=

Comments

• I think the question becomes how much can the lower/middle class be squeezed. I think there continue to be structural problems with the economy and that things will not improve until they are addressed, bu what can you do.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi Mo, Currently all pensions are exempt, government and private alike.
    But, 401k/403b, etc. are not exempt, except for employer contributions and whatever portion you contributed to receive an employer match, as I understand it.

Under the new law which goes into effect in 2013 all pensions except military are subject to our 4.35% income tax. So much h*** was raised they went back to the drawing board and scaled it in as follows. If you were born before 1946 you are exempt for life. (I just missed) Theres a middle group spanning about 5 years who will pay tax on everything except the first 20 K for life. The third (younger) group will pay on 100% for life. Social Security remains exempt, for now anyway.

Convoluted for sure. Hope answers your question.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.