Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Does, And Doesn’t, Help To Predict Fund Performance?

FYI: One of the questions that I and other advocates of evidence-based investing are often asked is, ‘What sort of evidence are you talking about?”

Primarily I’m referring to academic research — evidence that’s truly independent, peer-reviewed, time-tested and based on robust data analysis.

But I’ll admit there are grey areas, and some greyer than others. I personally don’t have a problem, for example, with true giants of academic finance — the likes of Eugene Fama and Harry Markowitz — being remunerated by product providers. Their most important academic papers have been there for all to see for decades, and so vast has been their contribution to our understanding of investing that they fully deserve to be financially compensated.

Studies produced by in-house research departments, on the other hand, are in a totally different category. You can, after all, twist and torture the data to make it say pretty much whatever y
Regards,
Ted
https://www.evidenceinvestor.com/what-does-doesnt-predict-fund-performance/