Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar Portfolio seems to be having another glitch this morning!

In attempting to check my portfolio this morning at Morningstar it seems the site is down. Is anybody else having issues at Morningstar?

Comments

• Always got issues with M*. But not with Portfolio Manager; at least for now it's working for me (though I haven't verified that all the prices are accurate and up to date).
  • edited January 2019
    I reluctantly began using M* tracker after my once superior (paid for) App became unreliable. Yes, M* wasn’t working when I tried to use it this morning. Overall, it’s been very reliable in the month or more I’ve used it.

Since the site wouldn’t load, suspect it’s briefly down for maintenance.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

The site is now up and working. Seems, they fixed the glitch.

• What makes this day different from any other day?

I've long since given up M* premium/portfolios and went with Personal Capital, which is far far more reliable and user friendly for portfolio tracking.
  • edited January 2019
    @rforno: Thanks for stopping by and making comment about Morningstar's portfolio manager's glitches. I took the time and viewed the Personal Capital site that you referenced. For me, I don't think that it will provide the same information that I seek and receive through portfolio manager. For a valuation tool only the personal capital site would work. Since, I seek other information that portfolio manager provides beside fund's price and holding value I also seek more information such as number of shares held ... % below 52 week high ... fund's expense ratio ... Fund's turnover ratio ... fund's yield ... fund's average bond duration ... fund's weight within portfolio ... fund's cost per share ... fund's p/e ratio trailing ... fund's p/e ratio forward ... fund's average bond maturity ... fund's daily price change & return ... weekly return ... monthly return ... 90 day return ... year-to-date return ... 1 year return ... 3 year return ... 5 year return ... 10 year return ... and, 15 year return plus some other stuff as well. In addition, I can get both fund and portfolio retruns by year. So, if I want to do a five year lookback, by year, I can.

Then there is Instant Xray where it is easy to input the fund tickers and amount held ... and, bingo out comes more free informative information from portfolio asset allocation detail ... stock style detail ... bond style detail ... sector allocations ... world and region allocation detail ... expesnse detail ... portfolio yield detail and the list continues ...

And, then there are the free Morningstar fund reports.

I guess I get a lot, for free, from Morningstar in spite of their glitches. And, if there is not enough free information provided then subscribe to their premium service which I at one time did but no longer do.

Now, if I could only find some patience regarding the glitches.

• I agree it's nowhere near the same use as M* PM .... you may want to check w/your broker to see if you have access to M* reports/features thru them as well. I know TDA offers their portfolio XRay thru them, which I find completely useful and very helpful. No research, though.
  • Does anybody else have concerns about letting Yodlee ( the company that manages Personal Capital, and almost everyone else's, account aggregation services) have your passwords?
  • msf
    edited January 2019
    Ages ago, I asked Fidelity if they were outsourcing FullView to Yodlee or taking it in-house. The answer I got was that it was run in-house. Since then, I suspect they started interfacing to outside financial sites via Yodlee rather than running the software (with passwords) in-house.

Doesn't matter now, though. FullView was rebuilt on top of eMoney Advisor, which Fidelity acquired a few years ago. It's got its own set of technical problems. But if your objective is to circumvent Yodlee, this is one way to do it.

"Full View is operated by eMoney Advisor, LLC, a Fidelity Investments company."
    https://www.fidelity.com/go/monitoring-your-financial-portfolio

Another way is to maintain a portfolio on Vanguard's site. You tell it exactly what you own, and it prices your portfolio. So you'll have to keep your holdings current. It just helps you know how you're doing.