Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bond investors, beware

Comments

• beebee
    edited December 2012
    Just wondering... If, as an individual, I buy a 10 year US Treasury bond and hold it to maturity I received the face value of the bond as well as the coupon along the way. Now, if I buy a US Treasury Bond Index fund...that trades (sells) very little because it is an index...wouldn't this type of strategy allow the bonds in the fund the opportunity to mature and therefore recieve the face value and the coupon...no loss of share price? I could see share price being impacted by selling longer duration US treasuries early but, if they are held to maturity there no loss of face value.

There are money making strategies for bonds in raising rate environments. Listen to Dan Fuss sometime. One strategy he speak of is to ladder say 10 year treasuries every year...smoothing out coupon payments. So if a bond fund used a strategy of laddered 10 year treasuries...why would that be any different then me doing this myself?

Often, I think its more about the nimbleness or prepositioning of the fund. An index fund should be shortening there duration to preposition...when rates do finally raise they can begin holding longer and longer duration.

Am I missing something here?
  • "if I buy a US Treasury Bond Index fund...", the fund is marked to market every day and you and other investors can redeem at each day's NAV, which means you can loose a small (or large) fortune should interest rates rise. If a fund is called something like Long Duration Treasury Fund, how nimble do you think the manager could be? He can't buy equities or high yield even if he sees the interest rate freight train coming. the 2% coupons will not protect against a huge loss of capital. And don't forget that as soon as it starts plunging, the investors will want their money back, which means, even if you're very patient and prudent, the fund manager will be selling long bonds before maturity at firesale prices to pay other investors and the fund's value will go down. Never confuse a bond with a bond fund.
  • Well stated fundalarm.
  • Reply to @fundalarm:
    Gotcha...always sit close to the exit...I agree with the long duration problem...stay short duration.
  • Reply to @bee: i am not stating 'stay short duration'. what i am saying -- know what you own and what the risks are. each porfolio needs some equity risk (US and non-US), some interest rate risk, and some credit risk -- diversify your risk sources.
  • A.J. Cohen . I take what she's offering with a few pounds of salt.
  • Reply to @johnN: Good stuff John. I also appreciated the learnbonds.com site embedded in the article.