Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A guest column at Amazon.com - and the world's tiniest picture of me

As I mentioned in the December issue, Amazon invited me to contribute a column to their new Money and Markets page.

It's about the bond market and was, tentatively entitled "It's time to go." We ended up negotiating the more-neutral "Trees don't grow to the sky." It has the virtue of being short.

David

Comments

• Very cool. Nice going!
  • Excellent, David. Hopefully more folks will stop here and share some thoughts.

Do you feel "It's time to go?"; relative to some bond sectors?

Take care,
    Catch
  • Awesome job David. Very appropriate...
  • edited December 2012
    Very concise and tightly organized. Just eyeballing, I get a tad under 750 words - not counting graphics. Curious if there was a word limit or parameter set by Amazon? (Your analysis is always compelling.) Nice job & thanks for sharing with us.
  • Reply to @hank: Amazon allowed 600-1000. The copy I first submitted was 1002 but Chip and Wendy, my academic department chair, very gently suggested that there was a fair amount of detail (Reams' record, lists of long-short funds) whose absence might strengthen the essay. Their argument was that if I wrote a shorter, inviting essay then people would feel encouraged to drop by here and would learn a lot. So, I trimmed.

Thanks for noticing!

David
  • Reply to @catch22: I was hopeful that folks might wander by and learn a bit. I can spot-check tomorrow; the Analytics program allows us to see where folks are coming from. While about 100 people a month go from here to Amazon, we've rarely noted the reverse.

As to bonds, I don't know about the timing but I can't find much attraction to them, and haven't for a while. My portfolios tend toward emerging markets and global debt, including high yield global, called bonds, some floating rate stuff, rather than simple investment grade debt. In the non-retirement stuff, I've got money in Matthews Asia Strategic Income (Ms. Kong was very persuasive), RPHYX, Northern Global Tactical Asset Allocation (successor to Leuthold with 12% in a broad bond index) and T. Rowe Price Spectrum Income.

David
  • Congratulations for a well deserved moment of recognition.

good stuff,

rono
  • Excellent, Snowball!! And winter is coming -- a time for snowballs to roll and fly!! ;-)

Roll on!!
  • Thumbs up! Good advice but I've been waiting for catch to finish studying it up for me.