Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

U.S. Equity Fund Sell-Off Tops $46B What's Next?

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/us-equity-fund-sell-off-tops-46b-whats-next-cm1070066

The U.S. equity mutual funds market witnessed the largest weekly sell-off between Dec 5 and 12, with investors redeeming $46 billion amid macroeconomic fears, per a report by Lipper. The data comes at a time when an ongoing stock market sell-off has pushed the broader S&P 500 index into correction

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I haven’t sold anything. Maybe pick up some bargains when I rebalance around January 1. Not the first time I’ve felt out of step.

(As noted previously, am in process of moving some funds from one house to another - but the allocation to equities won’t change)
  • Dollar wise or % wise ? @ hank: Same here.
    Derf

• No selling here ... if anything, I'm slowly nibbling and buying.....

... but nothing grabs headlines like photos of shocked floor traders and panicked headlines about market volatility, right?
  • edited December 2018
    Derf said:

Dollar wise or % wise ? @ hank: Derf

I guess that would be % - wise Derf. Most anything with risk exposure will fall in both dollar terms and percentage terms during a bad market. At the same time, cash and bonds will normally increase as a percentage of your assets. At last look, my normal 38-42% allocation to equity weighted funds (mostly balanced funds) had slipped from 39.5% mid-summer to 38.5%.

Haven’t checked recently because of all the distributions - and being otherwise occupied. Suspect that when the dust settles (distribution season ends) the equity loaded portion will come in a bit under 38%. That’s where my pre-sets would mandate rebalancing back to 40%. Should that portion fail to fall below 38% no rebalance would occur. Other portfolio areas with risk exposure (in particular real-assets) have also experienced losses the past couple months and might be due for a rebalance.

My thinking for a couple years has been that equity valuations had “over-reached” and couldn’t be sustained at those levels. IMHO a steady measured approach (neither rushing in nor rushing out) is a good way to go. I’m off between 3 and 4% YTD. If you’re willing to expose your money to the markets in pursuit of better long-term returns (and inflation protection), that’s a very small loss ... “Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch.”
  • No changes. Selective buying like JNJ Monday.