Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Fund Times 11/29/2012

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=576502

Summary:

* Nuveen Hires Robert C. Doll Jr. as chief equity strategist and senior portfolio manager
* Dreman Trimming Open-End Lineup
* DoubleLine is launching DoubleLine Floating Rate Fund
* Buffalo plans to merge Buffalo China (BUFCX) into Buffalo International (BUFIX) in January.
* Fidelity will merge several funds to Fidelity Stock Selector All Cap Fund
* Clipper, Davis New York Venture, and Selected American Shares waive their 30-day trading restriction through Dec. 31
* Etc.

Comments

• From your link:

" Selected American Shares (SLASX) will waive their normal 30-day trading restriction through Dec. 31. According to parent company Davis Selected Advisers, outside shareholders requested that they be allowed to realize gains before a potential capital gains tax hike in 2013."

Does anyone have statistics on mutual fund redemptions based on this dynamic? I would assume this would happen just after the fund distributes these gains...varies by mutual fund...but happening soon.
  • IMHO, should be just the opposite.

The idea is to recognize cap gains this year, rather than defer them into future years. That is, if one purchased a share at $10 and it is now worth $12, one can sell/rebuy - recognize the gain now (pay 15% of $2), and reset the cost basis to $12. Thus, the future gain (taxed at as much as 23.8%) is reduced by $2.

You'll notice that I said nothing about distributions. If you're applying this tactic (and I have done so in anticipation of large distributions), you sell on the record date (so that you don't get the dividend), and buy back the next date. I'll use some numbers below to illustrate why, but the idea is that by selling before distribution, you pay 15% on your gain; if you sell after distribution, your gains are reduced by the amount of the distribution, but that distribution might be taxed at more than 15%.

Here's the example - same hypothesis - $10 share, now worth $12, and we'll throw in a $2 distribution.

Sell (and rebuy) after the distribution, and your cap gain is $0 (after a $2 distribution, the $12 share drops to $10 - your original cost). But you pay taxes on that distribution - at best 15% of $2, but possibly more.

Sell before the distribution and rebuy afterward: your cap gain is $2, your tax is 15% of $2, and you don't pay any tax on the distributions. So you're paying no more, and possibly less, than if you'd sold after the distribution.

As I said, I've used this tactic - for example, when I have shares that have not appreciated, I can skirt the distribution by selling before the distribution and buying back after. But that only works with funds that let you buy back shares immediately. Selected Shares has a policy of protecting shareholders, by not allowing this. Not only because of the usual reason (high turnover costing long term investors), but because this tactic harms investors who don't use it.

What happens is that with lots of people selling (albeit for 1 day), the distributions are divided among fewer shares. So those people just holding tight get a disproportionately high distribution. It's as though they bought a dividend just by standing pat. Not fair to them.

• Reply to @msf:

Thanks msf, almost all of my investement are in tax free or tax deferred accounts. I assume your strategies are meant for taxable accounts. I was a little more concerned with the selling dynamic on the overall market. Could the tax cloud move the equity market lower as a result of mass "temporary tax strategy" sell off by taxable investors?
  • Reply to @bee: It temporarily could create some volatility but they will be buying back again right away. It is not like selling and going to cash. It is realizing gains now and maintain the same asset exposure at a higher cost basis to pay less future taxes.
  • umm. i sold and reinvested some, but mostly went to cash... i don't know where to reinvest in a taxable account, so cash is my only choice until things clear up. munis? could become taxable. dividends? not so much... i have more to sell by dec 31st. i guess i'll prepay my mortgage principal if the interest is no longer deductible. i suspect i am not alone. there is a reason that hundreds of companies are declaring special dividends or bringing forward their regular distributions. oh well.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: but your action is different purpose than discussed. You are not making a decision solely based on tax implications but based on anticipated market performance (timing the market)
  • Reply to @Investor: nope. pure tax-related decisions. taking long-term gains this year is almost done. much of re-investment is on hold until clarity in further tax developments.