Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GM will no longer make these 6 cars

edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
Buick LaCrosse
Cadillac CT6
Cadillac XTS
Chevrolet Cruze
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Volt

What can you say? Very sad on a number of levels.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/business/gm-cars-dropping-production/index.html

Comments

• The Impala and Volt are most disappointing to me, not that I would buy either. The Impala because it was a nice revival of a classic model that I remember from childhood. The Volt because Chevy/GM has the smarts and know-how to make a great electric car, but it was just too expensive. Toyota and Tesla have shown that e-cars and hybrids can be successful and it’s said that GM can’t duplicate those successes.
  • 4/26/18
    "Ford announced plans late Wednesday to eliminate some of the company’s most well-known cars in North America, including the Fiesta subcompact, Fusion midsize sedan, Taurus large sedan and the C-Max van, according to Ford’s quarterly earnings statement. The decision followed years of declining car sales."
    Who's next ?
    Derf
  • Ford had already announced that it would stop producing many of its car models. Pretty soon, the only car they’ll sell will be the Mustang. I looked at Fords for the last new car that I bought 6 years ago, after driving a Ford Ranger for 15+ years, but they were overpriced compared to comparable models from Honda, VW, Mazda, Toyota, etc. I ended up buying a VW Golf, which I love, but VW is having similar problems selling cars vs SUVs.

The key issue seems to be that many Americans prefer driving trucks and SUVs. That might change if the oil glut ever ends and gas prices soar.