Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Boo ...... and how

Hi guys!
The Dukester has been after me to post. Thanksgiving was great.....hope yours was too. The boys came over....had some good ideas to throw around as well as turkey. To start with, the BOO (i.e., Halloween): it's when I like to start to add positions. Have added to FXIAX several times.......also FSRFX. This position was started in the summer and will be sold after Christmas again this year. Opened a position in ROGSX that I add to on big down days only. Have also been adding to TWEIX. Looking for some value to pop before I die. Also added FSMEX to the portfolio....will add on weakness. Also have been adding to FSDAX. I feel it's a keeper with the way the world is today.

Now for the sell side.....no special order or timeline here. FJSCX ---- at what point does the government own everything in Japan, and, with China slowing, just felt it's time to move on. Sold some PONAX on strength. FMIJX with the end of the year bond buying stopping. The Dukester agrees and only says look at Italy.....and these are the good times? NO! Also sold THOPX. Only want the best debt. Now, saying all that, I'm about 50% cash now. Got to take a beer break. Sent the little guy to get one, but he hasn't come back. I have noticed that some leftovers seem to be disappearing from time to time. He says not him, but I'm telling Santa anyway.

Now for the how.....some ideas for next year subject to change or being wrong or both.....lol! If the Fed slows, will add to VWINX. It's been a long time since I've put some in there. Also will add to healthcare on weakness. Will be looking at FSELX next year. As 5G will be coming by 2020, and, to get the most, you will need new phones. Not sure what else.....if there are any techies in the audience, jump in! I'm sure there's more. Also, with China easing, FIDO says about a year later the US market should pick up. Hope they're right. Also looking to buy some CDs at FIDO.....better than money market. So, in closing, in case I don't get back for a while, I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Welcome back Pudd... and Dukester. Always enjoy your posts.

FWIW, I've been converting MM cash into short term CDs, 6-13 month maturity dates for now. Not buying anything longer in duration as I expect CD rates to keep rising, so I don't want to be stuck with anything longer than that until the FED starts to slow down it's pace. That could be a while.

For me, my only equity buys will be with my play money in stocks. I think we are in a steady decline that will be labeled a recession in about 6 months. I have a limit order to start a position in Amazon which is getting close to kicking-in. Also a limit order in for United Health Group, but that would have to drop another 10% to kick in.

Welcome back!