Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Periodic Table Of Investments

FYI: All ordinary matter in the universe is comprised of chemical elements. An investment portfolio is no different, with a tapestry of asset classes, factors, strategies, tools and techniques serving as the raw materials.

The science of chemistry has long struck me as wonderfully analogous to portfolio construction. So much so that a few years ago I decided to take a trip down memory lane and revisit high school chemistry class. I thought it would be cool to visualize the taxonomy of diversification by creating a different kind periodic table, one with investments as the elements. With the help of our summer intern at the time (shout-out to Lea!), I put it together, made it look all pretty and…let it sit dormant in a file folder on my computer for five years.
Regards,
Ted
https://bpsandpieces.com/2018/11/19/the-periodic-table-of-investments/