Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FULL 1 hour interview, Barry Ritholtz, Ray Dalio, Masters in Business video, worth your time IMHO

edited November 2018 in Off-Topic

Full 1 hour interview here

An excellent video interview of Ray Dalio, by Ritholtz.
Take care and enjoy
Catch

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Hi Catch. Damn ... I didn’t realize that was Ritholtz doing most of the questioning. (There were also some audience questions.) I wondered why the interviewer didn’t come across as more media-savvy. Lots of respect for Ritholtz - just not the best at stage performance.

I agree with you @Catch22 that after watching Dalio there’s a temptation to run and hide. I’m resisting. Remain broadly diversified. My diversified mix continues to track my pseudo-benchmark TRRIX closely. If any corners of the portfolio sag, I’ll do some buying at year’s end. I’m overweight real-assets compared to that fund, which may result in over-performance at some future point should serious inflation develop.

Back to Dalio - he didn’t recommend selling anything. Seemed to favor broad diversification. But he did draw some historical parallels to 1937 when (apparently) central bank(s) began tightening. And, as another recent thread suggested, he likes gold. I researched that a little more and came up with a previous quote where he recommended most everyone own 5-10% gold (so let’s not get carried away).

Must note that Dalio appeared on stage today largely to promote a recent book. I’d say he succeeded. I’ll probably end up buying it.:)
  • edited November 2018
    Thanks@Ted. Your podcast is eerily similar to the live Bloomberg telecast both Catch and I viewed this morning. Same series. Same interviewer. Same interviewee. Same length. While I’ve only listened to the opening snippet, it appears to plow the same ground the televised interview did. It seemed clear this morning that Dalio had some “advance notice” as to what questions would be asked by Ritholtz. Now I understand why.

Regards
  • @hank etal
    Full interview now available and posted in the first section of this thread, if you choose to watch again.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited November 2018
    catch22 said:

@hank etal
    Full interview now available and posted in the first section of this thread, if you choose to watch again.

I’ll pass (enough excitement for 1 day:)). But I highly recommend either the Ray Dalio TV interview Catch linked or the (near identical) Podcast by Ted if you haven’t yet heard one of them,