Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paul Tudor Jones: Corporate Credit Will Cause the Next Crisis

edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
This is way beyond my pay grade. I’m linking it because in following the electronic and print media it’s the one warning shot I keep hearing repeated - a dozen or more times from different reputable sources over the past month. Take it for what it’s worth.

My concern isn’t so much with the cause of the next crisis as with the overall carnage on many risk assets it might inflict. I’ll say that some things haven’t computed (for me anyway) this year. 8+% losses in some Treasury bond funds while blue chip stocks have climbed as much or more over the same period. Not that they’ve diverged - but that the degree and speed of divergence seem unsustainable.

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1bv1tbv362ykv/Paul-Tudor-Jones-Corporate-Credit-Will-Cause-the-Next-Crisis

Comments

• @hank
    I read Mr. Jones, over the years.
    As to bonds in general.........I always pay attention.
    These are the MONEY underbelly of much of the rest of the markets.
    Same, in aspect; as those who run an ongoing balance on a credit card.
    Should be avoided, but isn't........same goes for over borrowing when rates are low.
    Great company plan if the borrowing is for proper reasons, and hell to pay if things don't work out, eh?
    I glance at CDS rates (insurance cost against bond defaults). In particular, I attempt to let knowledgeable folks discover a trend with this area and then pay more attention.
    If things move towards crappy with CDS rates, well; perhaps there is smoke before the fire starts.
    Just my humble opinion of "something" of consequence.
    Good evening,
    Catch
  • edited November 2018
    One of the article’s embedded links mentions that Jones’ hedge fund has fallen on “hard times” lately and has suffered big redemptions. That’s pretty much the story across the whole lot as I’ve been reading. Hedge funds generally are having a tough year and experiencing redemptions.

Maybe these big-shot highly compensated managers have swallowed “stupid pills” and lost their way? Or, maybe the various markets are behaving irrationally - making traditional hedge fund approaches ineffective? We’ll probably know the answer a year from now.