Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• msf November 2012
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Help with 401K

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
I am 48 years old and I have $165,000 in my 401K. I am looking for feedback on allocation dollars or percentage. The plan is from John Hancock and here are my choices

Large Cap Growth-

Pru Jennison 20/20 Focus Fund

The Growth Fund of America

Fidelity Contrafund

Large Cap Blend-

T. Rowe Price Equity

Washington Mutual Investors

Mid Cap Value-

JPM MidCap Value

Mid Cap Growth-

Wellington Mid Cap

Pru Jennison Mid Cap

Small Cap Value-

Wellington Small Call

T. Rowe Small Company Value

Small Cap Groth

Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index

Vanguard Explorer

International

DFA Emerging Market Value

Templeton International Value

Oppenheimer Int. Growth Fund

Balanced-

Pax World Balanced Fund

American Balanced Fund

BlackRock Global Allocation

Index-

John Hancock Mid Cap Index

John Hancoxk 500 Index

Sector-

Deutsche Asset Real Estate Securities

T. Rowe Price Sci & Tech

Davis Financial Services Fund

T. Rowe Price Health Science

MFS Utilities

Intermediate Fixed Income-

Pimco Total Return

Pimco Real Return

Comments

• Since this is from JH, I'm guessing it is a JH annuity (see footnote on JH's 401K page, saying that "Group annuity contracts are issued by John Hancock ....). For a sample prospectus, see similar prospectus.

This matters, because (aside from cost), the funds are not necessarily what you think they are. For example, what you're calling Fidelity Contrafund (FCNTX), managed by Will Danoff, is likely Fidelity Variable Insurance Product (VIP) Contrafund -- Service Class 2, managed by a whole slew of managers, including Bob Stansky, John Avery, Adam Hetnarski, Steven Kaye, Robert Lee, Douglas Simmons, Pierre Sorel, Peter Saperstone, Nathan Strik, and Tobias Welo. Notice anyone missing?

I further suspect that most of these funds are not even external funds, but are in fact John Hancock funds that are subadvised by the named advisors (much as, say, Harbor Bond (HABDX) is subadvised by PIMCO, but it is still a Harbor-branded fund, and Harbor is ultimately responsible for the fund). Here are the docs for the JH-branded funds. (The good news, if you look at the prospectus, is that the JH-branded funds have real tickers, unlike, say, Fidelity VIP Contra, so you can actually look them up.)

The suspicion about cloning/subadvising is substantiated by the fact that there's no such thing as a Wellington Mid Cap fund at the retail level. Here's another example - T. Rowe Price Small Company Value. The retail fund, PRSVX, is Small Cap Value. What you're calling a T. Rowe Price fund is in fact a JH fund (JHSVX), that happens to be subadvised by T. Rowe Price. The good news here is that it appears to be a clone of PRSVX, and thus a pretty good fund (albeit a blend fund, not a value fund as JH is portraying it.)

Here's what may be the prospectus of the JPMorgan Insurance Trust Mid Cap Value Portfolio prospectus. The good news is that it appears at first blush to be a clone of JAMCX, which I've spoken highly about when discussing some mid cap value funds.

You need to determine exactly what you've got - and remember that because of the annuity wrapper (again, still just a guess on my part), the total expenses are a lot higher than what you're seeing for the underlying funds.