Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: Revisiting The 4% Rule

FYI: William Bengen first wrote about the 4% rule in a 1994 research paper for the Journal of Financial Planning called Determining Withdrawal Rates Using Historical Data. He proposed a safe withdrawal rate of 4% of a portfolio’s value in the first year of retirement, an amount which is used as a baseline for spending going forward.

Each year thereafter, you would increase that initial amount by the rate of inflation so your spending keeps up with the cost of living.

Retirement nerds have been running Monte Carlo simulations and debating the merits of Bengen’s 4% rule ever since.

In my post from earlier this week — What If You Retire at a Stock Market Peak? — I used a simple percentage of assets approach along with an increase in spending rate by inflation. This approach takes market fluctuations into account when determining the amount to spend each year so some would view it as not ideal especially when the market tanks.

Here are the annual spending levels using a flat 4% rate of the market value for the unlucky market scenarios I outlined in that piece:
Regards,
Ted
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2018/11/revisiting-the-4-rule/