Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Duff & Phelps Global Utility Inc.

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Duff & Phelps funds and capabilities ? I am interested in their closed-end fund (DPG) that was the subject of an article in M* recently. The fund carries a number of attributes of which diversity in sectors and geography were interesting, as well as running a discount currently and a healthy yield. Any thoughts or red flags would be much appreciated.

Comments

• by looking at cefconnect.com, i can see right away that over 50% of this fund's quarterly distribution is a return of capital. this would make it a no go for me right away. also, the history of the fund is very short. I am sure there are other global utility plays you can use. If you don't insist on global, there is a very decent monthly paying US utility CEF that has been around forever. Very value oriented management. it's UTG: Reaves Utility Income. I remember when I was looking for a utility play several years ago, this was -- for me -- the best in class. I sold it earlier in the year at the record price and am thinking to re-enter at some point.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Thanks for the heads-up on the ROC issue, I was getting carried away with the gloss and not applying enough effort on research.