Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee November 2012
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wasatch Frontier Emerging Small Countries Fund (WAFMX)

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
This fund, for an emerging markets fund that invests in less liquid smaller countries, seems to be weathering the market downturn well. Possible it is due to its over-sized investment in consumer cyclical and defensive stocks. Reading over their prospectus about the more youthful population and more rapid GDP growth of these frontier markets, it seems like a bet on consumer staples is a smart move - or at least it has been over the brief lifetime of this fund.

Comments

• In another thread linked here:

Emerging Markets: Why So Many Funds Are Flawed

Andrei commented on this fund. I like the fund company's overall record. I agree with your comment regarding Watsatch's ability to weather downturns in the market. Maybe one of the few examples where a high expense ratio is worth paying. Emerging and Frontier markets have a lot going for them. One other thread you might be interested in revisiting is one I linked a while back.

It centers on the performance of emerging markets and the dynamic parenting companies (Global Titans) play in nuturing the success of these region and country based offspring companies.

Here's that link:

Looking for funds that invest in Autonomies...and the offspring they own