Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Asian Markets, Tuesday morning.....Ouch !

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hoping the numbers are better when I awake at 6am, EST.

Asian Markets

Comments

• Yes, I too trust that it will look better in the morning.
  • edited November 2012
    Not too bad this am - Japan flat overnight ... China off about 1% ... Australia off 1.5%
    - These types of movements go with the territory.

Regards, hank
  • The world is indeed, flat, as we know what's happening, when its happening. A bit sad.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @ron: Well said. Can't escape presence of smart phones, Blackberries & IPads connected to the web. George Orwell would love it. (from a literary perspective only)
  • Hi hank,

I do not like these numbers at all.

Shanghai (-1.51%) .....internal Chinese market, YTD= -6.9%

Hang Seng Index (-1.13%).....external access to Chinese market, YTD= +15%

S&P/ASX 200 (Aussie) (-1.53%).....YTD= +8%

Nikkei 225 (-0.18%).....YTD= +2.4%

TSEC (Taiwan) (-1.81%).....YTD= +.9%

Take care,
    Catch
  • Geez - Daily swings of 1 or 2% are common in equity markets. Probably more so in the "emerging markets" variety. A well diversified portfolio of funds may swing half that much in a day. If you're long term focused and only taking small yearly withdrawals - or none at all - don't see the concern. Won't dismiss the potential for really catastrophic markets like we witnessed in '08 & '09. However the 6.9% drop in one market you cite hardly fits that category. So, I'll rephrase the old cliche to read: "If ya can't stand the heat, put her all in bond funds" - advice you seem to have followed & have done very well by. Regards