Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jason Zweig: “There Ain't Gonna Be No Core”

FYI: At the Bogleheads conference a few weeks ago, I was asked how to teach children to handle money responsibly. “Tell stories,” I said.

And yesterday, I was eating an apple, munching my way down to the core as I always do — in order to leave nothing but the core — when I stared at it in my hand. A story came back to me.

I’m guessing it was either 1973 or 1974, when the nation was deep in a recession. I was 14 or 15 and prided myself on being precocious. Reading some article in the newspaper about people buying things they couldn’t afford, I turned to my father and said with what sounded to me like wisdom beyond my years, “You know, I think what this country needs is a good depression.”
Regards,
Ted
http://jasonzweig.com/in-defense-of-there-aint-gonna-be-no-core/