Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

401(k) Loan Defaults Are A $2 Trillion Retirement Problem

FYI: Over the next decade, defaults from 401(k) loans could account for $2 trillion lost in potential future account balances, according to a report from Deloitte.

The average defaulting plan participant stands to lose approximately $300,000 in potential retirement account balance, according to “Loan Leakage: How can we keep loan defaults from draining $2 trillion from America’s 401(k) accounts?”
Regards,
Ted
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/deloitte--401-k--loan-defaults-are-a--2-trillion-retirement-problem-41303.html?print

Comments

• "In the 10 years ending Dec. 31, 2018, retirement plans lost approximately $2.5 trillion in potential assets at retirement due to $86 billion worth of defaults." - Christopher Robbins, Time Traveler.
  • Makes me wonder how many trillion in "potential assets at retirement" are lost due to the billions (trillions?) that aren't invested in the first place. It puzzled me how many people I worked with did not save to the match much less saving more to the max.
  • Not saving to the match is literally the dumbest decision anybody could ever make. Tell me somewhere else you can earn a 100% return with (essentially) 0 risk?