Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clements: 5 Things We Can Still Learn From Vanguard’s Jack Bogle

FYI: Last Wednesday, Vanguard Group’s 89-year-old founder John C. Bogle was in hospital to receive treatment for his latest health scare—an irregular rhythm in his transplanted heart. On Thursday and Friday, he was at the Bogleheads’ 17th conference in Philadelphia, as feisty as ever.

The Bogleheads are, of course, the online community who congregate at Bogleheads.org. They’re renowned as fans of frugality—especially frugally priced index funds. And Jack Bogle—even though it’s been more than two decades since he was Vanguard’s chief executive officer—remains their guiding light. He has a new book, “Stay the Course”, which should be out next month.

Near the beginning of his remarks on Thursday, Bogle quoted the Ancient Greek playwright Sophocles: “One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been.” He then added, “I think my evening is here, and I don’t much like that.”
Regards,
Ted
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-things-we-can-still-learn-from-vanguards-jack-bogle-2018-10-08/print