Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morgan Housel: Fool Me Three Times And I Give Up

FYI: The most significant part of the financial crisis that peaked ten years ago this month was that it took place within eight years of both the dot-com crash and 9/11. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times – oh, hell, why even try anymore?

Nassim Taleb’s The Black Swan was published in April, 2007, 90 days before the financial crisis began. It sold well for two reasons: It’s a good book, and – as authors have known for centuries – the most effective writing is putting into words something people intuitively feel but haven’t yet articulated. The Black Swan’s message – improbable outlier events run the world – wasn’t just interesting; it resonated. “Yes, that’s my life! That’s what I’ve experienced over and over again for the last eight years!”

My biggest lesson of the last 10 years is that we’ve clung to that idea. Probably a little too much.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/fool-me-three-times-and-i-give-up/