Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mark Hulbert: Saving A Few Pennies On Index Funds Could Cost You Many Dollars

FYI: Fees and expenses are no longer one of the most important factors to consider when choosing an index fund.

I thought I would never say that. But I also never thought that any index fund would reduce its expense ratio to zero. Yet that is exactly what Fidelity recently did with two index fund offerings — the Fidelity Zero Total Market Fund FZROX, -0.19% and the Fidelity Zero International Index Fund FZILX, -1.11% .

Financial advisers will inevitably get lots of inquiries from investors wanting to shift their index fund dollars into Fidelity’s new funds. That may or may not be a good idea. But advisers can perform a real public service by using the occasion of those inquiries to teach clients that the differences between the expense ratios between Fidelity and other low-cost offerings— such as those maintained by Vanguard or Schwab — are dwarfed by other considerations.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/saving-a-few-pennies-on-index-funds-could-cost-you-many-dollars-2018-09-05/print