Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Merrill Can’t Restore The Bad Old Days Of Conflicts

FYI: (This is a follow-up article.)

The fiduciary rule is dead, but its spirit lives on.

The rule, which the Department of Labor first proposed in 2015, required brokers to act as fiduciaries — to put their clients’ interests ahead of their own — when handling retirement accounts. It sounded simple, but it meant that brokers would have to rethink the way they do business.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-09-04/merrill-lynch-can-t-restore-the-bad-old-days-of-conflicts

Comments

• edited September 2018
    By the author not stating what the fees and commissions are for the respective type of account noted within the article ... How is one to know if one is better than the other? As a reader I'm still left in flux. When I looked into this the accounts with wrap fees also had fees for the fees the mutual funds charged. This put fees on top of fees.

I found none that beat what I had with my traditional retirement account thus I let it become grandfathered rather than rolling it into a fees only based account.

I remain in flux and plan to continue with what I have as Morningstar estimates my annual expense ratio at 0.76 percent. And, that is all I pay. I was unable to find an account with a wrap fee back of one percent.

Still in flux ...