Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Ideas Thread

2»

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Reply to @Charles: I second the FMIJX idea, with the qualification that it may not be some people's idea of a core foreign fund ... the theme is solid companies with global operations bought at reasonable prices, including U.S. stocks, lots of Europe, no direct EM exposure, and most of the foreign currency effects hedged. It's not done that well in the past few months as the euro has bounced back from its recent lows.

I'd think of it more as a global fund, a supplemental foreign fund, or a foreign fund for risk-averse investors. I do own it, and in my case think of it as more of a global fund.
  • Reply to @catch22: I'm with Catch on this one. Down-town Josh Brown has the symptoms of the common disease these days of extrapolating from Treasuries to the entire bond market, which is much larger and more diverse than the equity universe. Risk-balanced portfolios ... however defined by the individual investor ... still make the most sense.
  • Reply to @catch22:
    Thank you all for your reply, I do appreciate it.
    The risk reward in bonds is too rich for my taste.
    At this juncture I prefer to sit tight in treasury money market (60% of my portfolio) and wait for the Market to clear up a bit .
    This has rarely happened to me in the last 30 years as a professional trader, I would like the market price action tell me where to invest my money.
    Best of luck to all
    Turtle