Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2018 tax year, IRS "draft" tax forms

I've glanced through a couple of the forms. These are PDF format; and note at bottom right of each page for additional pages.

2018 IRS draft tax forms

Comments

• This isn't their first cut. I remember posting somewhere a blow by blow description of where the old lines were moved. Nearly no line was eliminated, just moved to new forms so that the 1040 could look like a postcard.

This version looks worse. The 1040 no longer has the "traditional" line 13 for cap gains (that should be carried over from Sched D), even though the instructions still identify line 13 for cap gains.

The Schedule D draft is stamped "Draft as of August 14, 2017".

This isn't even an alpha version. I'll wait for future developments.
  • @msf
    Yes and I hadn't viewed any prior rewrites. I did see some revisions must have been set as of Aug. 13, 2018 for some 1040's.
    This will be most interesting without a doubt.
  • I meant that the Schedule D stamp appears to be more sloppy editing, not that it really was that old.

I'm sure the IRS is under tremendous pressure to release draft forms - both from the administration that feverishly wants to demonstrate how much "improved" the tax laws are, and from tax preparers (including Intuit, CPAs, etc.) that need to get ready for tax season.
  • Makes me wonder how the tax program vendors are coping and how much they will need to increase their prices if the information store is so, well, "messed" up.
  • Most likely there will be more patches release after the hard copies (CD) are sold. Think about the tax preparers - more training to keep up with the changes.

It is ever more important to keep track of the transactions, medical bills, and others throughout the year. Once thee W2 and 1099s are available in January, have them downloaded.