Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Off-topic, Windows 10 updates

edited August 2018 in Off-Topic
I just found a vid that shows step-by-step how to completely disable Windows 10 from auto-updating. I looked in vain in the logical place where there ought to be a button in order to stop auto-updates. The frikkin' geniuses at Microsoft Windows removed that option entirely from that easier-to-find control panel page. That option has been intentionally buried. Last evening, my computer sounded very busy as I was browsing. It was yet another attempt to download something by Windows. I saw a reference to it in the restore-points: "critical." 30 July, 9:18 p.m. ... And since then, computer's been acting funny. I don't even know if it was successfully updated or not. But I do see a record of FOUR failed (FAILED!) attempts to download the next-previous update, before last night's. That's absurd. I say this with my tongue in my cheek: anyone ELSE notice how buggy and defective Windows is? After I used a restore point and System Restore, the computer seems to be behaving more normally.
I followed the video, step by step, and bookmarked it, in case I should ever feel blessed or lucky someday, and decide to take my chances that Windows might do something RIGHT. Here it is, for everyone else's benefit:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+i+stop+windows+10+from+updating&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab#kpvalbx=1

Comments

• Just a quick anecdotal observation. My "old laptop" sits in the kitchen nook and gets used to do my morning reading while I sip on coffee and enjoy the sunrise. It was born with Windows 7 and got updated to Windows 10 along the way. It has been struggling for months to accept a major spring update but finally did so yesterday after grinding with it for an hour or more. My "new laptop" sits in my office and was born with Windows 10. It accepts updates so well I don't really even notice when they happen. Perhaps accumulated "memories" make it harder for old computers to learn new tricks....
  • Been the story with Windows from day one. There are alternatives.
  • How much ram do you have? W10 enjoys a lot. With enough ram, my experience is that W10 works better and better with each update. They can take forever, for sure, and obvs ymmv.
  • edited August 2018
    Hard drive is 930 gigs. I've got 877 gigs unused, free. Maybe M'soft doesn't like some of my settings, or the fact that it's auromatically including in the update a thing that will sync with my smart-phone, which I do not own... I've also deleted stuff needed for video games. I have an ad-blocker, too. And I clean my cache very often. Today, after turning OFF updates, computer seems back to normal and working well. I ran into a problem when installing AVG antivirus, too... because it wanted to be able to clean my smart-phone.... WHAT smart-phone??? I do not possess one. So, the thing was Fubar, and I uninstalled it. I use Avast now.
  • Not HD space, but ram on the motherboard. That's the biggest difference-maker.
    I use W10 builtin security, works fine, fewer problems now than third-party ones ime. Plus free malwarebytes.
  • Yes, I use Malwarebytes, and also WiseCare365 and CCleaner. RAM is 6 gigs, 5.75 usable.
  • Well, more ram will help, and somehow checking for avast conflicts w the builtin programs would be wise if you have not done so already, turning one or the other off for keeps.
  • I'm still running Windows 7 on my 6 year old Toshiba laptop due to fears of Windows 10. Also, the Windows 7 version of Microsoft Freecell still remains the most user-friendly!
  • W10 is quite a bit slicker and actually sleeker than W7, but for sure you are not the only person doing that
  • edited August 2018
    Okay, I just have to say something.

Windows is the BEST thing out there for mortals. Windows 10 is awesome.
    You want to buy a Mac for 3 times the price, you go ahead.
    You want to make Linux work as a personal device, I wish you luck.

I'm mad at Amazon, I still use it.
    I've tried everything that's out there multiple times, and I keep coming back to Windows. You get get cheap license from Fry's on sale multiple times a year.

I'm someone who buys used laptops from eBay and "upgrades" everyone in the house every 2-3 years. I'm typing this from an ancient Dell Precision M6400 with Core2Duo and 12GB RAM, and it runs Windows 10 like a champ and I'm not even using a SSD.

The only time I bought a new laptop is when my daughter went to college. And it runs Windows, too.

I would say have 8GB RAM and your are good. 4GB might not cut it but for posting unnecessary links on MFO, that'll work as well.

Another endorsement for MalwareBytes. Between Windows Defender and MalwareBytes you don't need anything else. Remember, free is cumpulsory, paid is unnecessary. You get what you pay for, yes. Free => free from trouble. Paid => bottomless pit. Anyone paying for software besides the OS is nuts. Maybe Microsoft Office if you really need it.
  • I'm not paying for any of it. Free versions, manual definitions-updates. And if it is necessary or recommended to check for conflicts between Avast and Windows Defender? I understand that having more than one antivirus program can cause those conflicts. I prefer a non-Microsoft/Windows anti-virus, because... well... Microsoft sucks. VF, your sarcasm is duly noted. Wanna tell me how to turn OFF Windows Defender?
  • edited August 2018
    Of the oligarchs who run the world, Bill Gates seems the nicest one.
  • @Crash, you are having your neg MS karma repaid. j/k.

h,lmgtfy:

googling produced this, which is complicated for most of us:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10

but it also says Defender disables itself when it detects third-party antivir. So no need to do anything other than complain further.

Wait, you are running everything free versions or something ?

In any case, go to 8G or better 12G of ram. Won't be free, though, probably.