Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund to change name (and possibly more?)

edited July 2018 in Fund Discussions
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/734383/000093247118006377/globalcapitalcycles485a.htm

Investor Shares
Vanguard Global Capital Cycles Fund Investor Shares (VGPMX)*

(*Formerly known as Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund)

Comments

• edited July 2018
    They sure need to change something.:)

Currently the top 10 holdings all appear to be miners and make up over 40% of the fund’s investments. The fund lags most other mining funds for 1 & 5 years. Admittedly, mining hasn’t been a great place to be over that time. The 0.36% ER is low. But, for whatever reason, resource funds generally have lower ERs than might be expected.

Couldn’t tell from the blurb exactly what they intend to change besides the name. Would guess they’ll move more to an infrastructure approach while retaining a sizable exposure to the miners. With a mandate like “infrastructure” the door is pretty much wide open to a variety of investments. Price used to include financials in their old infrastructure fund. The idea was that if a company loaned money to infrastructure companies or projects it belonged in an infrastructure fund. (TRP closed the fund in 2014, merging it into their Real Assets fund, PRAFX.)
  • The fund's already gone through minor (no pun intended) tweaks. I believe it started out as Gold and Precious Metals. From its 1994 prospectus:
    The Gold & Precious Metals Portfolio invests in the equity securities of
    foreign and domestic companies engaged in the exploration, mining,
    fabrication, processing, or marketing and distribution of gold, silver,
    platinum, diamonds or other precious and rare metals and minerals. The
    Portfolio may also invest up to 20% of its assets directly in gold,
    silver or other precious metal bullion and coins.
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/734383/0000893220-94-000267.txt

In May 2001, it changed from a diversified fund to a nondiversified fund:
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/734383/000093247101500144/precmetals523.txt

Apparently at or near the same time, it dropped the "Gold" from its name, becoming simply Precious Metals,. The next change came May 24, 2004. Mining was added to the name, and mining stocks played a bigger role in the portfolio:
    FUND TO REOPEN WITH BROADER INVESTMENT MANDATE AND NEW NAME
    Effective on or about May 24, 2004, Vanguard Precious Metals Fund will reopen to
    investors with a broader investment mandate and a new name.

The board of trustees has decided to expand the fund's investment mandate.
    On the effective date of this change, the fund will invest at least 80% of its
    assets in the stocks of foreign and U.S. companies principally engaged in the
    exploration, mining, development, fabrication, processing, marketing, or
    distribution of (or other activities related to) metals or minerals. The
    majority of these companies will be principally engaged in activities related to
    gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, or other precious and rare metals or minerals.
    The remaining companies will be principally engaged in activities related to
    nickel, copper, zinc, or other base and common metals or minerals.

The board of trustees acted in response to the increasing concentration of
    the metals and minerals industries, a trend that limited the options available
    to the fund's investment advisor. The decline in the number of precious metals
    issues on the market, combined with the advisor's stringent quality criteria,
    made it difficult to keep the portfolio fully invested while maintaining the
    overall quality and diversity of its holdings. The trustees therefore decided to
    broaden the range of stocks in which the fund can invest while adhering to its
    traditional investment strategies.
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/734383/000093247104000482/precious032004.txt

I have no idea what Vanguard is trying to do with this latest change. Investing in companies/industries with declining CAPEX sounds like investing in cash cows. That's an income play, the opposite of what I'd expect from a fund that will continue to keep over 25% in precious metals and mining.

I'm confused.

• edited July 2018
    Maybe more information will divulged in the 60 day window of the filing?

Found this link over at Bogleheads (credit the poster):

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/precious-metals-changes?cmpgn=EM:RIG:ED:Stargaze:JulEmail:Email:0718:0101:FNA:MUF:0323
  • WTF?! I used to keep allocation to gold while selling TGLDX at tax loss. Now I think I will sell this one after 30 days and ALSO take tax loss.

!@#$%^&*