Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

a second gentle reminder

124»

Comments

• edited July 2018
    And "cheapshots"....again, YOUR definition. "Don't post such shallow swiping"...and then you try to tell me that it's not your rules....seems like rules to me!

Maybe you could use a little introspection and re-read some of the political posts...doesn't it seem a little odd that everyone has basically the same viewpoint...your viewpoint?

And in one of the posts, after your group of bullies grills a conservative, someone says: "hey...why did so-and-so say something and then leave?" But no one self-reflects and so no one comes to the conclusion: maybe we were a little rough on that person, maybe we should listen sometimes, maybe we could learn something.

I guess if your goal is to chase everyone away except those who agree with you, you have made a lot of progress. I've noticed that a lot of posters who I have enjoyed reading in the past are no longer here. So, congratulations are in order!

• Damn. I closed the wrong page. Had part of a contribution erased. Here we go again: SOURCES: How about well-known George Will? He has my respect and admiration. Thoughtful, intelligent. Even though I most often disagree with him, apart from his writings about baseball. I want to mention William F. Buckley, but he's passed on. And G. Will raised a disabled son together with his wife. THAT takes BIG balls.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/this-sad-embarrassing-wreck-of-a-man/2018/07/17/d06de8ea-89e8-11e8-a345-a1bf7847b375_story.html?utm_term=.ec9c2cd14c1c
  • @little5bee,
    Wow, you have now gone completely off the rails, so if you're somehow incapable of engaging substantively or even owning your erroneous whattabout cheapshots, fine, just don't post it. Benghazi, Whitewater indeed. smh
  • Engaging a trumpanista who plays the equivalency card( the Clintons or all politicians) as way to avoid honestly discussing their dear leader should be a non starter. No point in trying. They aren't listening,,, to them, up is down, day is night and and so it goes.
  • Well, ya.
  • @larryB,
    tnx; I don't disagree, but this guy has been thoughtful and substantive before, and can read, and can write, and all that good stuff. I shoulda known maybe when the phrase 'Clinton foundation' appeared! Of all the worthy entities in the world ....
  • Gentlemen,,,, if those people won't listen to the likes of George Will what can we say to them that will make them think? My guess is nothing.
  • edited July 2018
    and, "sources". As if all sources are equally legitimate, and worthy of equal respect. Talk about false equivalency! "Hey, I gotta source!" It's funded by Kock or Mercer but it's just as believable as AP. Right.
  • Do you read MGerson, JRubin, MBoot, DFrum, DBrooks, RDouthat, BStephens et alia also? There are so many thoughtful smarties out there, and I am not naming deep reactionary conservatives, and some of these call themselves former conservatives. It is an unbelievably strong time for serious longform and deep-diving journalism. There is just so much of it. Overwhelmingly good.

Like online wit and snark --- a golden age we are in.
  • edited July 2018
    Why would they read any of those people? Why would they take a chance that they might hear a few facts that don't jibe well with what they "know" to be true. No sir... it's got to be a "source" that parrots exactly what they already believe and no deviations allowed!
  • edited July 2018
    I was wondering if you and lB read those people. And I was thinking this guy seems different. As a career writer and editor and talker I have great, often misplaced faith in the power of careful informed wording. ('Communication is a miracle', a wise man once said.)
  • If you tell a lie enough times,,,,,,,,, these people have heard lots of lies lots of times.
  • I'm familiar with and appreciate Gerson, Brooks, Wills, and Boot. Will keep my eye open for the others.
  • edited July 2018
    larryB, on a previous post on this thread, you wrote: "nothing can be gained from name-calling", yet in your response to me...well, it's not even a response to me...just some feather-fluffing by the sycophants...you call me a "trumpanista".

I scoured the website looking for the rulebook and I could not find anything but this:

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

So according to the above, it looks like OPINIONS ARE ALLOWED, despite what the self-appointed moderators proclaim. If you don't like what I have to say and it's not footnoted to your specifications, don't read it.

Since past history has shown that the mutual admiration society will not stop until it has the last word...have at it. Done with this thread on "civility" and its personal, veiled attacks on my mental health.

And for the record, I am not "a guy".

• I guess if your goal is to chase everyone away except those who agree with you, you have made a lot of progress. I've noticed that a lot of posters who I have enjoyed reading in the past are no longer here. So, congratulations are in order!

I agree with you, @little5bee. Used to be a good site, but now it is nothing but personal attacks and political snipes. Nothing has been done to clean it up. So be it.

Please delete my user account here.
  • If you think being called a "trumpanista" is troubling wait till the history of this presidency is written. Those who supported this madness will be called complicit and much worse. Some will end up in jail and others in disgrace. This is no longer about political parties and opinions,,,, it will ultimately be about the institutions that are the core of our democracy and their survival.

You trumpanistas are so hypocritical when you get upset about name calling. Your dear leader has a name for everyone who calls him out. I guess that is ok when dear leader is doing the name calling. It not ok when you get called something. Shame on you. And don't call yourself a conservative. No self respecting conservative would support what is going on.

One thing you are right about,,,, this doesn't belong here.