Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barry Ritholtz: Index Funds Are Going To Be Just Fine

FYI: A few recent observers have pointed out that inflows into index funds have slowed recently. See, e.g., this or this.

I believe these folks are simply confusing correlation with causation or otherwise using sloppy reasoning.

I speak regularly with senior management at Vanguard and DFA (and less regularly to their peers at other firms). I would not describe what they are doing “grappling” with the slowdown. It has been a torrent of capital hitting their accounts, and I suspect they welcome the opportunity to digest these gains, and allow their system-wide updates to catch up to the huge increase in their assets under management (AUM).

I cannot find my data source on this, but using Vanguard as an example, if this years inflows occirred either in 2014 or 2015, it would have been an all time record.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-18/slower-inflows-to-passive-funds-don-t-signal-investor-discontent