Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

America, robots, new geography map and data

edited July 2018 in Fund Discussions
Yes, this is an investment area; and you already have money invested in this area if you have any broad based equity holdings.
A little something for your curious brain cells.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/07/americas-new-robot-geography/564155/

Comments

• A quibble regarding the listing: The SF Bay Area is rather artificially divided into two groupings- SF/Oakland/Hayward and San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara. Combined, as we would generally recognize them for technology groupings, they would be #3 on the list, with a total of 40 establishments.

Also, I would suggest that the rather extensive R&D in self-driving automotive vehicles should be regarded as part of the overall "robotics" scene, but the article does not mention this aspect at all. If a self-driving vehicle isn't basically a robot, then what the heck is it?
  • ---Robots are widely used in manufacturing, assembly, packing and packaging, mining, transport, earth and space exploration, surgery, weaponry, laboratory research, safety, and the mass production of consumer and industrial goods.

From my own exposure for a base, I think of "robotic" more so related to an assembly line function. But, I'm well aware that "robotics" also look like floor carts with wheels having a Hyster with fork lift features for stacking and retrieving product from shelving.
    This is almost a self driving vehicle, yes?

Agree, that this is not a perfect descriptor for a wide open tech. area.

Hoped some would be interested, none the less; for how some of the "robotics" are counted by geography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotics

Take care,
    Catch
  • yeah, one of the robotics companies I worked made ones for HC to deliver meds up and down the floors of the hospital, including semiautonomously taking the elevators

the other made (among other bots) cool lightweight tracked mini-tank things to scurry over jungle floors and do recon, not only desert theater
  • Troupers in the desert?
  • very good!

next time I hit that locution in a DoD proposal I'm editing I am absolutely going to change it to dinner theater