Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: Are You Sure Your Investments Are Appropriate For You?

TedTed
edited July 2018 in Fund Discussions
FYI: At our EBI West Conference a couple weeks ago in Dana Point, CA, we were treated to a chat between Ken Fisher and Barry Ritholtz.

Fisher talked about how he built his firm, Fisher Investments, into one of the largest RIAs on the planet, now managing upwards of $100 billion.

If you don’t know who Ken Fisher is, you’ve probably seen his ads before:
Regards,
Ted
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2018/07/are-you-sure-your-investments-appropriate-for-you/

Comments

• "Are You Sure Your Investments Appropriate For You"

Are you sure English is your first language?
  • @JoJo26: Now are you happy !
    Regards,
    Ted
    :(
  • You just copy and pasted. It's Mr. Carlson that is disappointing.
  • edited July 2018
    “Messaging is important in the financial services industry because in many ways we’re all selling trust. Creating trust can be difficult when there is competition for your services and an audience that may be unfamiliar with your work.”

Umm ... And I thought they were selling performance. What a silly notion.

Somewhat agree with @JoJo26 that the article’s not particularly well written. On the other hand, I’m not finding any really glaring issues with grammar. This is very basic (and cursory at that) Investing 101. For most here, thinking about these things is second nature. No new revelations. As for the “trust” issue, while I may disagree with the notion that that’s what’s chiefly being sold by the financial industry, I’m reminded of a great line in Miller’s Death of a Salesman:

(Charlie in eulogy to Willy) “ Nobody dast blame this man. You don’t understand: Willy was a salesman. And for a salesman, there’s no rock bottom to the life. He don’t put a bolt to a nut, he don’t tell you the law or give you medicine. He’s a man way out their in the blue riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake.”