Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The College Scam: Video Presentation

FYI: A new book makes The Case AGAINST Education. Who would argue against education?

Economics professor Bryan Caplan. He tells John Stossel that "what we need to do is to go back to a world where college is not so accessible.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.realclearmarkets.com/video/2018/06/04/the_college_scam.html

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Interesting mutual fund, although the expense ratio is too high. The name--the BS Post Fund--might be a little on the nose, too. Ticker symbol is ROFLX.
  • edited June 2018
    College is already not accessible. That's the reason we have a student debt issue.

It is MONEY that is easily accessible. Someday it will literally translate to indentured servitude.

I tell my kids, I'm not giving them college education. I'm giving them student-debt free life. And to remember me for THAT.
  • Caplan is a libertarian figure of mirth to serious economists and educators, but this is a moderately sympathetic engagement:

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2018/2/16/16870408/public-education-libertarianism-democracy-bryan-caplan
  • @VintageFreak- I always believed that if I owed money to anyone then they owned a part of me. So, other than the home mortgage, which was paid off well before due, we never owed money to anyone.

The home mortgage was taken through a very decent SF bank, the Hibernia Bank. Unfortunately they were sold some years later to Security Pacific, who were also a decent outfit. Very unfortunately Security Pacific was also sold some years later to... Bank of America. We had been saving like crazy during those years, and fortunately had enough saved to walk into the very same branch which had been the Hibernia Bank years before, went to the new, arrogant and surly BofA manager, and handed her a check for the balance.

Screw whatever the tax deduction might have been- no way in hell was any part of me going to be owned by the BofA. Ever.
  • So, these fellas (libertarians) would have preferred to be line workers at a GM factory and to have passed on the higher education theme???

--- Bryan Caplan, education:
    University of California, Berkeley, Princeton University
    --- John Stossel, education:
    Princeton University
  • Almost all economists, including social-progressive ones, concur in the take that significantly increased investment in sophisticated voke ed and community colleges is a good thing and will help in all sorts of ways down the road. This even though any technology skills gaps is increasingly debated when not actively debunked (little wage growth in those supposedly hard-to-fill areas).