Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jim O'Shaughnessy: Mistakes Were Made. (And, Yes, By Me.)

FYI: It’s part of human nature to want to be right. It informs our view of our self, and, especially if we take a public stand, we commit to it much more strongly than we would otherwise. In his excellent book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert B. Cialdini devotes an entire chapter to it—Commitment and Consistency. Once we commit to something and take a stand, we are loath to change our minds, even in light of new information that contradicts our stance. Of course, this sometimes leads to huge mistakes, and is often the reason our investments go awry. We hate cogitative dissonance and will usually do anything to hang on to our stated positions, even when, especially when, they are wrong.

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to look at all the times where I got it almost entirely wrong, not for self-abasement, but rather as an exercise in how we can learn from our mistakes and still go on to do very well in life and our chosen careers. Thus, in no particular order, let’s look at things I got wrong, and what I learned:
Regards,
Ted
http://jimoshaughnessy.tumblr.com/post/175118354574/mistakes-were-made-and-yes-by-me