Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Waggoner: T. Rowe Price To Lay Off 150 In Shuttering Of Tampa Operations Center

FYI: In a move that reflects investors' increasing desire to go digital — and their reliance on advisers — T. Rowe Price said Thursday that it is closing its Tampa, Fla., operations center in June 2019 and laying off about 150 workers.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=rggRW7SHC6aB0wLBt5jADQ&q=T.+Rowe+Price+to+lay+off+150+in+shuttering+of+Tampa+operations+center&oq=T.+Rowe+Price+to+lay+off+150+in+shuttering+of+Tampa+operations+center&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3029.3029.0.4287.3.2.0.0.0.0.107.107.0j1.2.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..1.1.162.6..35i39k1.162.yDyBGce0I5Y

Comments

• Wonder how othe brokerages including Fidelity and Schwab will fare in Florida where there is a large retiree population?
  • You'd think that they should do well, wouldn't you?
  • edited June 2018
    Thanks for linking this @Ted. Sad in a way. Been with Price since the mid 90s when I transferred my 403B to them while still working. Occassionaly a rep would identify themselves as being at their Tampa center.

But, yep - normally the majority of us prefer to transact online. Just think back to your first experience doing transfers, etc. online and how new and different it seemed. Probably logged in using a very slow “dial-up” phone modem. Those were the days!
  • They are likely to be impacted the same as T. Rowe Price. Question is when they would reduce their customer centers.
  • edited June 2018
    Well, automation drives savings in operational expenditure for an organization. If TRP can leverage their "robo advisers" to help garner assets just like they would their "human advisors", then can pass on the savings by firing the "human advisor" to the customer, and yet, collect their fees at the same level. Perhaps even more. Then they benefit themselves as well as their customers.

So it is sad for the "human advisors". However, I'm not going to feel too sad for them because IMO this is one of the most abused/unnecessary professions. In my experience, Financial Asset Management and Information Technology (please make note I did not say Computer Science) are too professions with the highest percentage of Bullshit Artists. Their jobs will and should be the first to get "automated away". The fact that robo-advisors are so rampant right now is because asking a few questions and coming up with an asset allocation does not take rocket science, and if this is what human advisors were doing for most part, then they were not doing much.

In other areas, Automation will HELP. Like maybe help Surgeon perform operations, maybe even enhance their abilities. However, replacing the Surgeon herself with a Robot? Now we are talking Star Trek which is a long way away. But then, in the Star Trek era, poverty has been eradicated and neither human nor robotic financial advisors exist.

I hope those 150 who were unfortunate to not find re-assigned jobs at TRP, are able to find similar jobs elsewhere. I know how hard it is to find job when you lose it, especially when you get older. If I were to lose my job to automation, I would mind it less than if I did for other reasons. As long as automation is helping mankind and not simply making other people rich by foisting their toys on us.