Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Case Shiller Home Price Numbers Strengthen Further

FYI: The most recent numbers from S&P/Case-Shiller came out this morning and showed increased home prices on a month-over-month and year-over-year basis for every city tracked.

Below is a table highlighting each city’s change in home prices for March (the data is released on a two-month lag). As shown, Seattle — home to Amazon.com — continues to see the biggest gains, with a month-over-month gain of 2.84% and a year-over-year gain of 13%. San Francisco was also up 2%+ in March, while another ten cities were up more than 1%. New York was up the least month-over-month at just 0.08%, which was even weaker than Cleveland’s +0.35% gain.

Year-over-year, Seattle, San Francisco, and Las Vegas were the three cities up 10%+, while DC and Chicago were up the least at 3.04% and 2.84%, respectively.
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• My freakin' house got appraised 20% higher. Why? There's no way I can sell my house at the price the county is saying it is worth. They are just inflating it to collect more taxes. So much for my county not letting taxes increase BS. I'm really mad because the "comps" they provided to show sales of similar houses are not even in my zip code.

I'm telling you everyone artificially jacking up house values to collect taxes. Case, Shiller, and everyone else!
  • @VintageFreak- This is not the first time that I have noticed a distinct lack of confidence in and admiration for the American economic system on your part. I must caution you that in the event of further such conduct I shall have no option other than to report you to Ted and Maurice as an obvious hate-America left-wing Marxist-Leninist bent upon the cultural demise of America.

(Please see the post "our exceptional inequality" for references.)
  • $Old_Joe - LOL! We did contest and get house appraised $16K down.

If the system was fair, County should be prepared to make cash offer for your house when you go challenge and they don't agree. The issue I have is with the hypocrisy of the elected officials. They make themselves sound like our saviors keeping our taxes low. Then give us an imaginary illiquid boost to our "wealth", while screwing us from behind.

I'm a product of the public school system and believe in it, and also the need for the more affluent to put in more taxes so the less fortunate can get educated. However, I would rather you just increase my taxes instead of inflating my house price. I don't want anyone to sell me a donut for $1000 and a TV for $1. I want to do what's right - buy 1000 donuts some of which I can give to the unfortunate. I can't do diddly with 1000 TVs and can't afford the $1000 donut.