Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Washingon Post: One Year for $50... Memorial Weekend Special

In case you have given any thought to subscribing to the Washington Post there is a special rate this weekend: $50 for one year... you're not going to ever do any better than that.

This is your chance to subscribe to a real newspaper. Maurice may ignore this offer.

Comments

• Thank you. That is an excellent offerings.
  • @MFO Members: This is even better!
    Regards,
    Ted:)
    http://www.cetusnews.com/sites/washingtonpost
  • Amazon Prime members get it for $3.99/mo or $48. Just if anyone is penny-pinching. :)
  • @rforno- I had no idea. Thanks much for the info.
  • edited May 2018
    I’m a Prime member and Amazon force-fed it (free trial period) onto one of my devices several years ago. I deleted it and complained to them. Just didn’t like the formatting. I do have it delivered to my Kindle e-reader for $12.50 a month. Good paper. My first choice for U.S. news.

I’d say the difference in formats would be similar to reading David’s monthly commentaries in the format in which they are published and switching the format over to the “scroll“ setting - which David makes very easy to do.

One issue not facing most of you is that we’re still relying on 4G for internet. Slow and clunky compared to what most have. So, having the entire contents pre-loaded on the Kindle vs. clicking on specific articles works much better.
  • edited May 2018
    OldJoe - I forgot to say it's free for 6 month and THEN $3.99/mo for Amazon Prime ... which is actually cheaper than the academic rate which is what I was looking for to start with.
  • edited May 2018
    @rforno- Now you've really made me feel bad. Been an Amazon "Prime" member for years (but not Kindle) and had no clue. :(
  • hank said:

I do have it delivered to my Kindle e-reader for $12.50 a month. Good paper. My first choice for U.S. news.

Do you know if the "Basic Digital" subscription, which says it includes "Unlimited access to washingtonpost.com on any device" really does include e-readers, or are e-readers not counted as "devices"? (The NYTimes plays this game, requiring a separate subscription for e-readers.)

For those concerned about privacy, here's WaPo's EU page:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/

The Basic Subscription says that "You consent to the use of cookies and tracking by us and third parties to provide you with personalized ads."

In contrast, the Premium EU Subscription (50% more) says, in bold, that there is "No on-site advertising or third-party ad tracking.

• Not at all sure re "third party" anything, since browser is set to always disallow all third-party cookies. I check my cookies regularly, and never see any third-party stuff. Additionally, I never see any advertising on either the WP or any other regularly-visited site, probably because of using the "Ghostery" add-blocker and "NoScript" browser add-ons. Sometimes I do see empty spaces on a web page where I assume the ads are supposed to be.
  • edited May 2018
    Amazon supports their “e-readers” differently than they do their Fire tablets. Many Kindle marketed publications are available on both and at the same cost. However, that is not always the case. Blogs, for example, are available on their e-readers but not their Fire tablet devices. That’s been a source of consternation for me because you can subscribe to NYT headline stories (a blog and actually quite comprehensive) for just $2 monthly on their e-readers (like Paperwhite ), but you have to fork over $20+ monthly for the full NYT if you wish to read it on a Fire.

To @msf’s question, I checked and found that (according to reviewers) the web-based WP will work on an Amazon Fire tablet, but that they somehow prevent it from working on their dedicated Kindle e-readers.

Re personal preferences - I “resold” a Kindle “Paperwhite” e-reader back to them after using it for a year or two and reverted to reading Kindle content on an older Amazon Fire tablet. Just suites me better - even though it lacks e-reader’s commendable battery life and isn’t good under bright lighting (as “Paperwhites” are). I suppose I could save money reading the web-based version of the WP on my Fire tablet. But for the sake of ease and convenience I’m willing to pay more and receive the Kindle formatted version anyway on the Fire device. To some, chocolate pudding is chocolate pudding. To others, like myself, the manner in which it’s served-up is important.:)

Kindle subscriptions are delivered ad-free. However, Kindle e-readers and other Amazon devices do download and display advertising from Amazon unless you pay a small fee (about $25) to convert to an “ad-free” device. I generally do.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    If you do subscribe to Kindle subscriptions or other Amazon services, do pray you never encounter a technical glitche requiring a phone call.

Problem - Their account website (accessible through any internet connected device) has refused for about a month to allow me to view a list of current subscriptions (things like titles, fees, renewal dates and synced devices, as well as the ability to cancel an unwanted subscription). It would be like logging in to your brokerage account and not being able to see your holdings.

Spoke with two different reps today - neither of whom seemed fluent in English. Typical of the hour long conversation - In one rep’s native language “read” and “see” appear to have similar meanings. This led to much confusion as I tried to explain that - Yes - I can read the newspapers I’m subscribed to on my device but - No - I can’t see the actual subscription information on their website.

In the end, they detemined the problem is due to a system failure which they’re trying to correct.
    Here’s what the conversation felt like.:)

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018
    No bias... Better resources.. minimal ads
    Drudgereport.com
  • Have a nice day.
  • Happy Father's day eneryone
  • Hmm, lets see about this drudge report. Oh, gosh @johnN, you probably didn't know, but it is known for fake news, also called a bunch of crap. Stick with your far right bias slant John. Kind of strange from an immigrant himself.

From mediabias fact check:
    The Drudge Report focuses on sensationalized stories with a right wing bias. They have a poor record with fact checkers. (7/19/2016) Updated (4/5/2017)
  • I was thinking jN is making a wee joke for FD.
  • I was thinking jN is making a wee joke for FD.
    Sadly, I don't think so.