Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Russia investigation & market impact

This article in Politico, outlines what I think is a convincing scenario: that Mueller will wrap this up by July or so. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/21/3-predictions-for-what-mueller-will-do-next-218410
I think it makes sense to prepare for some market impact. If he presents (as I expect) convincing evidence of crimes by the President of the United States, then we could be heading for a constitutional crisis and the market could take a hit, no? Alternately, if it's all a nothingburger, markets might be pleased.

What surprised me about the article was how close we may be to hearing from Mueller, one way or the other.

Comments

• Hi @expatsp

Well, I don't choose to enter the political discussions that enter into, otherwise investing threads here; but we investors, among other ramifications into many other areas are indeed affected from "bi-polar, with modifiers" of others actions, with current machinations from the land of D.C.-ville; be they legal or decision making entanglements.

Related to the investing side, regardless of political/legal, etc. relative to our gov't. being able to function.
    Possible investment decisions to be very good at..... :
    ---fully understand one's self
    ---fully understand whether one is able to identify and stay with a trend, until it no longer is....as with equity growth vs equity value, and perhaps particular sectors only at any given time frame
    ---OR hopefully and luckily choose 3-10 successful active managers in sectors
    ---OR index only, with 3-10 diversified choices
    ---OR fully diversify a portfolio in whatever fashion; 3-10 choices are more than enough

OR, GET the hell out of active investing and buy CD's or something one is comfortable with.....

Lastly, I smile when politicians speak or write from the land of D.C. and they feel assured they can out-fox the Chinese government in matters of trade and global influence today.
    Some of this is "get elected again", some of it is wishful thinking and some of it is they don't know, that they don't know; among other choices available. IMHO, too many get stuck in the "jingoism", having been influenced one way or another through their life and not fully realizing the condition. Jingoism can have negative side affects. The most destructive form from my observations over many years (3 years living outside of the U.S.; 2 years among a Chinese population and 1 year in Europe/North Africa) is that blinders go in place (a nationalism) and folks can't "see" the merits of other groups, other than virtues of their own or those whom they support and agree.
    As to manipulation in trade/tariff and other country(s) functions; it surely is not able to be pointed at just one country on the planet. No manipulation by the U.S. of anything? Okay, ya; sure.
    The changes that are in place now and will continue to arrive, is that technology will continue to allow the yet unknown bright thinkers among the young and the old from the smallest of towns around the globe to come forth and present ideas that may impact many global societies in many positive forms. I'm fully gracious that I was born and raised in this country and what I have had and do have access to today; but this country is by no means the only place on the planet with bright and caring people attempting to have a better life.
    If the "Art of the Deal" fixes all of the ills; someone needs to bookmark this page to contact me in the future, if I'm still alive and here, too. I will rewrite my portion here.

jin·go·ism
    ˈjiNGɡōˌizəm/Submit
    nounderogatory
    extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.
    synonyms: extreme patriotism, chauvinism, extreme nationalism, xenophobia, flag-waving; hawkishness, militarism, belligerence, bellicosity
    "a newspaper known for its jingoism"

POTUS 180 thingy on trade with China, the bi-polar
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-steel-tumbling-trump-does-151600382.html

Regards,
    Catch
  • @MFO Members: Market Impact ? None !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted
    Yes, so far; surprisingly........almost. But, money pretty much overrides so many global twitches. We're all witness to this aspect.
  • edited May 2018
    Right now if you asked me who will be President in 2020, I would say Trump. Same reason Kerry lost to Bush in his second term election. Stop talking about the incumbent and tell me how YOU will do things better. Besides at this time WHO is YOU? In this time and age campaigning for 2020 should have started and there are no viable candidates in the other Party.

Unless Trump's own party turns against him, whatever Mueller does will generate lots of fodder for Media and throw Markets into turmoil and whatever else. Only for Trump to get into another scandal for everyone to focus on. The fact that after all these scandals he is still President is telling.

We elected a p***y grabber as President. Now stop grabbing at straws. If Dems strategy for 2020 is Robert Mueller, which it basically seems to be....good luck..not!

Now I will wait for markets to fall and fund managers to blame it on Mueller, Trump, or both, but not their incompetence.
  • edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No way. Hillary is utterly centrist, while throwing some juicy lefty-sounding progressivist phrases around.
  • Weren't they beating the drums for the death of the Republican Party just a few years ago?
  • edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "I merely stated, or meant to state, is what many pundits have said, which is that she felt compelled in her campaign to move to further to left, because of the acceptance of Bernie Sanders' politics by the grassroots of the party."

@Maurice: I would find it very hard to disagree with your observation.