Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ford to stop selling every car in North America - with exception of Mustang and Focus

edited May 2018 in Off-Topic
How’d I miss this one? Geez, I love driving a nice car. Always thought of cars as being for going places and trucks for hauling. While I appreciate everyone’s desire to “sit higer” (than the other guy) and to come out better in a collision (than the other guy), I also consider most cars (1) easier to drive - thus less fatiguing on long trips, (2) more stable and maneuverable due to a lower center of gravity, (3) easier to stop - and thus avoid collisions, (4) generally less expensive to operate and insure. In short, I don’t get it.

Personally, I own a small car that I drive when weather permits (80% of the time) and an aging pickup that hauls everything from a load of top soil for the garden to a stack of 2x4s and plywood when needed. Recently, I tried to find / purchase a new pickup for my limited needs. When I looked online, the “standard” pickup (2 doors) is practically impossible to find. Few build it and fewer stock it. I was confronted with “extras” like 4-doors, collision avoidance radar, computer screens and bells & whistles in the cab. So I’m continuing to pour money into the old one to see if it will last another 15 years.

Have to wonder if the fall in the price of gasoline to as low as 1-2 dollars fueled this transition and if the trend will backfire once gas gets back above 4 or 5 bucks a gallon? If you’re looking for justification for the approaching inverted yield curve ... a sharp spike in fuel costs and subsequent plunge in new vehicle sales could provide the spark for recession.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/ford-to-stop-selling-every-car-in-north-america-but-the-mustang-and-focus-active/

Related: Consumers shift to larger vehicles: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-auto-sales-rise-amid-shift-to-larger-vehicles-2018-04-03

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2018
    ...in any color... so long as it's black.
  • edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    Thanks @Maurice,

So ... the fact that everybody is driving SUVs perhaps means I should buy an even bigger SUV so I can see over them? Or perhaps a tank? (Rhetorical)

I don’t buy that smaller is inherently dangerous. Much easier IMHO to get out of the way of danger by maneuvering around a bad situation. How can a tall heavy 4WD possibly be as nimble as a well equipped smaller car? I know the crash statistics favor bigger heavier vehicles. But I doubt there’s been a lot of study on whether in the hands of a proficient driver small cars aren’t less accident prone. Judging by the number of big SUVs that regularily pull right out in front of me when I’m driving 65, I think a lot of them are in the hands of some pretty poor drivers.

And prices! I bought a 71 Plymouth Fury new off the lot for $2,800. And a beautiful new 1990 Ford F-150 for $11,000. Than a new ‘05 Silverado, very well equipped, for $16,000. Now? A lower end F150 will probably run you $35,000 - 40,000. Add 4WD you’re looking at anywhere from $40,000-$80,000. Don’t know how people afford it. (Or why they think the price justifies it)

End of rant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    You can probably find a decently equipped Toyota Tacoma for $30k-ish. Maybe not the most "wonderful" pickup out there, but it does a reasonable job at a sort-of reasonable cost. Our 2009 with some 90k miles has been trouble-free so far. Going to be interesting to watch what happens to all of those huge SUVs when gas gets back up around $5.