Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazon Battles Hometown Seattle Over Tax to Stem Homelessness

edited May 2018 in Off-Topic
Excerpt from The Washington Post

“This is a message to the working people of America from Amazon saying that if you dare to fight us, we will threaten you with taking away jobs,” (Seattle council member Kshama Sawan ) said. “It’s really about billionaires like Bezos making sure people understand the balance of power. People need to know that Jeff Bezos is a bully and people need to fight back against this attempted extortion.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/as-amazon-pursues-a-second-headquarters-it-battles-hometown-seattle-over-tax-to-stem-homelessness/2018/05/10/2f3c4c5e-52d5-11e8-abd8-265bd07a9859_story.html?utm_term=.e8a7aea36d06

Comments

• Thorny issue this is. I understand the rising costs for housing and all the affordability issues but a tax on jobs seems a little bit out there. Yes Amazon and it's CEO have tons of money and can likely afford it without batting an eye. Many other big companies and big company CEO's probably can as well but really do you want to stifle job creation?

I assume all these now and future employees along with the companies that employ them pay all the current taxes and fees that come with with living and working in Seattle at present. I also understand wage disparity especially between many tech jobs and jobs in other industries and all the problems that creates with affordable housing. I just don't see where taxing jobs will provide a solution for homelessness. If only it were that simple.