Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Trump "we're going to get lower drug prices" PLAN to nowhere's-ville; well, should'a known...

Now, I don't disagree about some of the outrageous prices for some drugs...the generics, the been around a long time and are still effective types. There valid concerns for U.S. pricing vs other countries, as in Canada, etc. I actually thought there may be a real plan, at least to a point of removing or modifying the "middle person, supply chain (geez, I hate this business term) and some other areas as allowing Medicare to negotiate pricing (nothing like high volume for price incentive); but, NOPE.
Apparently, the investment market sectors agreed without hesitation. I noted to @hank previous about being concerned how much bio, pharma and related might get the whack today after the speech....hell, prices soared to the positive.
Aside from direct investments into these sectors, most of you holding a U.S. equity fund will get an added positive bump to the extent of the fund's health related % holding.

Perhaps to many other things going on in D.C. to have enough time to formulate a plan, eh?

Ok......have a good one.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/president-trumps-big-drug-price-speech-boosts-pharma-stocks-2018-05-11/print

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • For years the drug industry has spent millions lobbying Washington to have thing their way. Wish I am more optimistic, but I am not. It will take more tha an act of God to change that.
  • edited May 2018

Drug and medical prices are out of control, and it would've been nice to see him hew to his campaign promise about Medicare negotiations w/the drug companies to lower prices. But alas, special interests beat him to it. As expected.

But alas, from foreign policy to drug policy, despite the bluster, bravado, and bloviating, the dealmaking philosophy of this regime/administration continues to be -- "if something happens, great. But maybe it won't happen -- and that's okay, too." In other words, "whatever!"

The 'great negotiator', on full display.