Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazon To Let Customers Install Tires At Sears Stores

FYI: Amazon.com struck a deal with Sears Holdings Corp to provide tire services, boosting traffic at the ailing department store and extending the online retailer’s growing stable of alliances with brick-and-mortar companies.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-partnerships-sears/amazon-to-let-customers-install-tires-at-sears-stores-idUSKBN1IA2XZ?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/businessNews+(Business+News)

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Flat out terrible. :(:(:(
  • msf
    edited May 2018
    It doesn't say that Sears stores will stock "Amazon" tires, just that Sears will install them. How does this differ from my buying tires at TireRack, if I'm going to indicate "ship to installer" while purchasing either way? (Well, except for Sears DieHard tires.)

TireRack shopping helps me identify the OEM tires for my car, not to mention alternative tires. It has test reviews, both written and video. Users are asked to describe their driving pattern and mileage when reviewing tires. It's got over 400 user reviews for my OEM tires.

Amazon shopping helps by providing one user review for my tire (in part because it doesn't aggregate reviews for multiple sizes of the same model).

Where would you rather shop for tires?
  • Can Amazon please get the Eff out of everything? Why does it need to have its paws in everything?

• edited May 2018
    msf said:

Where would you rather shop for tires?

Notwithstanding that tires are completely off-topic and seem not to fall within the discussion board guidelines Ted has established for the rest of us, I’m pleased to address @msf’s question.

I’ve used Tire Rack for at least 6 years, buying 4 new rims, 8 new tires, and some TP sensors - both for the car and pickup. Everything was excellent. Additionally, one new tire was ruined by a road hazard shortly after purchase a year ago. (Michigan roads constitute a “road hazard.) The insurer Tire Rack contracts with replaced the tire free of charge (excluding installation). Process was relatively hassle free. Road hazard insurance is a perk added by Tire Rack free of charge.

I’ve compared prices with Amazon and found Tire Rack better. Selection is great. However, I’ve become very skeptical of all online “reviews” in recent years after being burned repeatedly by “reviews” both at Amazon and Trip Advisor. (I recall David mentioned something about how advertisers inflate reviews in his May Commentary.) I now run reviews through the following site before buying anything based on reviews. https://www.fakespot.com/

Unlike many, I’ve had my Tire Rack purchases delivered to my home. UPS drops them off at the front door. Probably only works if you have a pickup or other suitable vehicle for transport - and a strong back. I’ve than taken them to a local independent dealer for mounting/installation.
  • TedTed
    edited May 2018
    @Hank: Let's clear the air on off-topic posts. I don't mind an occasional off-topic message, but some individuals ninety percent of their posts having nothing to do with funds or investing.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted, There goes your inflated ego again.
  • Ted 99% of your posts are financial pron. Get over it.